Contest to name pep band benefits sick child

Alex Rogers, For The Miami Student

Miami University's hockey team and pep band will offer students and fans a chance to participate in a contest to rename the pep band. All proceeds collected through the voting process go to three-year-old Michael Quintero.

When Michael was two years old, doctors diagnosed him with juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma, a disease involving brain tumors that affects young children. Soon after, Michael's family turned to the Jaclyn Foundation. As noted on the Jaclyn Foundation website, www.friendsofjacyln.org, the nonprofit organization establishes connections with Division I collegiate athletic teams and proceeds go to specific children with the disease.

Michael first connected with the Jaclyn Foundation while living in Utah, and then Mark Quintero, Michael's father, gained admission to Miami as a graduate student in the music department. Without any knowledge of Mark's new position as director of the pep band, the organization searched for schools in the area and pinpointed the Miami hockey team, according to hockey Head Coach Enrico Blasi.

"Not everyone gets a chance to (be a part of the Jaclyn Foundation), and we felt very honored and obligated to have this opportunity," Blasi said.

He said while the team has been involved with other charities, this one holds a special place in his heart.

"The (hockey team) has been involved with a lot of foundations, but this is a very special one," Blasi said. "With this one, Michael comes to the games and practices and we get to interact with him."

Michael began his yearlong program with the hockey team in September, and players like senior Carter Camper marvel at Michael's influence and strength. 

"I think, at least individually, when we lose, obviously we're upset and this year we haven't been playing to our standards," Camper said. "But with Michael there, we step back and see there are more important things in life. It keeps me grounded."

Carter said Michael loyally attends every home game, cheering the team on regardless of the final score. 

"With his RedHawks jersey and personal locker, he has become fully integrated with the team," Carter said.

Wishing to aid Michael further, the hockey staff collectively decided upon the contest. The staff also encourages fans to participate in a separate jersey contest by submitting designs for the 2011-12 season jersey.

Stephen Lytle, director of Miami's pep band, said the contest will give the band a chance to have an official name.

"The pep band, which plays at hockey and basketball games, never had an official name so to speak," Lytle said. 

Fans can submit suggestions until Feb. 9. The top four names chosen by the hockey staff will be announced on MURedHawks.com. Participants can then vote for their favorite name Feb. 11 and 12 at the Blue Line Club Booth on the east concourse of Steve Cady Arena during Miami's home series against Western Michigan University for $5. Larger donations will also be accepted. 

Blasi said the money goes directly to the Jaclyn Foundation for Michael's family to help pay for his various medical expenses.