Conley, Hatton receive Distinguished Service Awards

By Hailey Mallendick, Senior Staff Writer

Miami's Presidential Distinguished Service Award, the highest recognition for faculty who are committed to service, was presented to Jerome Conley and Wanita Hatton this week.

Conley was recognized for his service as dean and university librarian for Miami University Libraries, and Hatton, for her 28 years as master building service worker for Physical Facilities at Miami University Middletown.

The Distinguished Service Award is presented biennially, alternating with the Distinguished Professor Award. It is reserved for faculty who have given at least twelve years of service to Miami and have made a significant impact to better the community. The recipients were nominated by other faculty members who wrote letters to the Awards and Recognition committee. The committee suggested candidates to President Hodge, who made the final decisions.

Conley and Hatton were recognized for their services and the award at a reception held by President Hodge on April 25th.

"It was an honor to be recognized with such a prestigious award," said Hatton. "I felt like royalty and was treated with the utmost respect; I felt extremely special."

Hatton's career at Miami's Middletown campus started as a contract worker.

"I was a contracted food service worker for eight years prior to [her career as a building service worker] at MUM and built relationships with faculty, staff and students," said Hatton. "They called me 'mom,' which continued after I became a Miami employee. You know the song: 'We Are Family?' That is how we felt at MUM."

Aside from bonding closely with the staff and students, Hatton helped organize several service events in the Middletown area.

She started events such as the Sunny Summer Santa Social and the Bunny Hollow Hop, where people with developmental disabilities are invited to come to the Middleton campus for food and fun.

Hatton helped to create an organization on campus called Students Engaging In Real Volunteer Efforts (SERVE). The organization and the community service events have grown over the years since she started them.

"There are times when I am in a restaurant or grocery store with friends and someone will recognize me and say things like: 'Do you remember me?'", said Hatton. "These are the priceless moments -- when it dawns on you that you made a difference in someone's life."

In addition to her work with SERVE, Hatton has been heavily involved in Relay For Life. Inspired by her husband's battle with stage four lung cancer, Hatton has helped the Miami Middletown campus team raise over $100,000 over a 20-year span.

"I get so proud and excited when I tell anyone about the fun we have had along our journey. I didn't realize at the time the impact such small things could do," said Hatton. "I guess we really did do great things because I received the Presidential Distinguished Service Award with great love."

While Hatton's work focused mainly in the Middletown area, Conley concentrated on the Oxford region.

Conley has been an active member in helping the community, from his various positions in the Miami libraries to his two terms as the Mayor of Oxford. In fact, he had such an impact on a group of graduating seniors two years ago that the students requested the city proclaim May 6, 2014 in his honor.

Like Hatton, Conley worked his way up from an entry-level position in the library to the dean of libraries.

"I came in for a one-year minority resident librarian position and now I'm the dean," said Conley. "I think that shows what a great environment Miami libraries offers as well as the opportunities that Miami has offered me."

Conley has implemented many service programs that include both Miami students and the Oxford community.

One program, called Oxford's Promise, pairs Miami student mentors with eighth, ninth and 10th graders in the Talawanda School District. This program, which occurs every three years, also teaches the Talawanda students about city government and safety.

Conley also spearheaded the creation of a student group that raises awareness of the United Way and its social service programs.

Conley also created an annual Senior Recognition Banquet, in which he presents awards, such as the Library Assistance Undergraduate Research Assistance Award, to student employees who utilize library resources for research projects.

"This I just started for the time for the graduating student employees," said Conley. "We just wanted to take a moment and give them a moment to be recognized."

In addition to the work he continues to do on campus, Conley serves on the Community Foundation Board for the City of Oxford as well the President for Ohio Library and Information Network.

"I share this award with the rest of the community -- the faculty, the staff, and, more importantly, the students that I've had the pleasure to work with," said Conley. "Oxford has embraced me for the past 24 years, as well as Miami. I am deeply, deeply honored by this award."