Confessions of a green novice

Erin Bowen

OK, I'll admit it. I'm new to this "green" thing. Yes, I have recycled since childhood and am from Michigan where there is a monetary incentive to refrain from tossing aluminum and plastic containers in the trash.

Yes, I use double-sided paper when printing, recycle handouts and used notebook pages at the end of each semester and try to put on extra layers and warm socks before cranking up the heat an extra degree.

However, I drive an SUV, forget to bring cloth bags to Kroger and notoriously can't remember to unplug my cell phone charger when I'm not using it.

But I think we all know that being "green" is so much more than that. I've recently learned an essential part of my greenification is improving and studying sustainability.

As a keyword, sustainability seems to be showing up everywhere lately. From Chipotle napkins to Miami University's budget, everyone's jumping on the sustainability bandwagon. It's not just the EPA, either. It's Wal-Mart and Coca Cola, UPS and Prince Charles of Wales. This increased interest is molding sustainability as one of the hottest trends since the Snuggie.

But what exactly is sustainability? I'm sure if I asked an ecologist, a biologist, a geographer and an economist I would get four different definitions. One thing I do know about sustainability is that, unlike the Snuggie, it's not easily ordered via phone or for the low price of $19.95. The quest to increase sustainability, especially at a university like Miami, is a complicated, difficult process.

Based on the results of the 2009 and 2010 College Sustainability Report Card, Miami has remained middle-of-the-road with an overall grade of C+.

Miami's areas of pride lie in food and recycling and climate change and energy. Dining services has increased the amount of local food sold in dining halls and on-campus markets, and utensils and disposable plates are made with biodegradable products. The university has also promised to reduce carbon emissions to 20 percent per square foot below 2004 levels by 2014, as required by state legislation. Miami receives less than stellar marks, however, in transportation and administration.

While it may be easy to chalk up Miami's stagnant grade to the slumping economy and budget cuts, other schools in Ohio were able to receive high marks. Ohio State University took home a B, Case Western Reserve University scored a B- and the universities of Dayton and Cincinnati both shined with grades of B+.

Miami was also notably absent from Gov. Ted Strickland's list of Ohio Centers of Excellence in Advanced Energy. Eight universities, Bowling Green, Case Western, Central State, Cincinnati, Dayton, Ohio State, Ohio University and the University of Toledo, were named as centers "committed to focusing their academic and research activities on advanced energy development to strengthen Ohio as a global leader," according to the governor's own press release.

Eric Fingerhut, chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents, further said "Ohio's universities are committed to driving economic growth in this state."

But isn't Miami committed to driving economic growth in the state? Isn't Miami committed to focusing academics and research on energy development? Even though Miami may not be receiving dazzling awards and grants for its environmental efforts and achievements, I do not think it is fair to label the university as hopeless. Many students, faculty and community members are aware of the current size of Miami's carbon footprint - comparable to some factories - and sincerely want to reduce the impact. They wish to increase Miami's sustainability not for publicity, not for marketing but simply out of concern for the planet.

Miami's sustainability committee was announced in early September, as was the creation of the Green Fund, an allocation of money intended to fund environmental initiatives. At a smaller level, students in Green Oxford and other environmentally-focused classes are just a few of the groups looking for ways to combine resources, unite fronts and connect the dots around campus.

Even though sustainability may be the hot new trend, I am encouraged by the amount of conversation generated about renewable energy and conservation of resources. I may still be a green novice, but a large group of novices can still make a difference.