College of Creative Arts gains new dean

Lauren Kiggins, A&E Editor

Elizabeth Reitz Mullinex, interim dean of the College of Creative Arts since 2013, has been appointed dean of the College of Creative Arts.

Mullenix first became part of the Miami community in 2006 as chair and professor of theater, and as artistic director and producer of Miami University Theatre.

She holds a bachelor's degree in theater and in English from the University of Vermont, a master's in theater studies from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana and a doctorate in theater studies from the University of Illinois.

Prior to teaching at Miami, Mullenix held the position of associate professor of theater at Illinois State University, with additional roles as associate chair of theater, director of graduate studies for the School of Theater and Dance, and associate dean of the College of Fine Arts.

Three candidates, including Mullenix, were up for the position of dean of the College of Creative Arts. Both open forums and informal drop-in sessions were held for each candidate.

The College of Creative Arts is home to approximately 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 110 full-time faculty and staff. It offers accredited programs in architecture and interior design, art, music and theatre. A new bachelor of arts degree in interactive media studies has also been added to the college's offerings.