City votes down Kroger gas station

Erin Fischesser

A soon-to-be expanded Kroger will feature a drive-thru pharmacy but not the gas station the chain hoped to build.

The Oxford Planning Commission debated the expansion Tuesday, allowing the drive-thru but denying the proposal of an accompanying gas station.

The two proposals were initially submitted as one proposal, but the commission voted to break them up in order to approve them separately. The commission unanimously chose to allow the drive-thru pharmacy upon acceptance of a revised proposal.

The initial proposal presented by Jonathan Walker, a representative for Kroger and the site's development company, included seven gas pumps with two hoses or 14 fueling stations. The fueling station was set to go in the front of the parking lot along Locust Street where there are currently parking spaces.

Concerns were raised by members of the commission with the number of pumps, as well as the placement of the fueling station.

"I can't see any particular reason that we need 14 pumps in this location," said commissioner Susan Kay.

During the meeting, the commission said that the placement of a fuel station in the proposed area does not fit into the city's comprehensive plan, which was created in 1998 and recently updated. Commissioners also said they opposed the measure because there are two other gas stations near the site.

The commission said the fueling station could be a potential disturbance. These facts led to a failure of the conditional use proposal at 4-2 with one member, Marvin Hurston, abstaining from the vote.

The Kroger representative said the fueling station was vital to the expansion project.

"This is not a threat to say without the fuel center we're leaving, but it is necessary for the viability of the expansion," Walker said.

Walker refused to comment following the commission's decision.

If given final approval, the proposed drive-thru will be built on the southern side of the Kroger building. Initial proposals included a through road from McGuffey Avenue to the drive-thru window. Commission members were concerned about the safety and location of the window.

"We want safe vehicular and pedestrian ingress and egress," commissioner David Prytherch said.

After considering many aspects of the drive-thru window, the commission voted to approve the conditional use but stipulated that a redesign had to be submitted and approved by the city engineer, development director and Bill Brewer, chairman of theplanning commission.