City Council discusses Airbnb regulations

Regulations for Oxford Airbnbs were introduced at the city council meeting on Tuesday, April 2, and road repairs were approved.

The legislation on short term rental properties, such as Airbnbs, would require operators to register their properties with the city via an online form.

There has never been a formal survey of Oxford's short term rental properties, but Councilor Glenn Ellerbe said that the number of Airbnbs in town averages around 55.

Some members of the community expressed concerns that the legislation was too lax. Some citizens said if council waits much longer to regulate short term rental properties, the task will become impossible.

"If we wait another year, we'll be further behind the curve," said Councilor David Prytherch, who recused himself for the legislation's discussion due to his previous involvement with the Planning Commission. "We're either going to deal with this now, or we need to commit ourselves to the fact that we won't really realistically be able to."

City Council passed two resolutions authorizing repairs and resurfacing to Campus Avenue, and the installation of handicap ramps cut into the curbs at various crosswalks along Withrow Street, Campus Avenue and Church Street.

Repairs to Campus Avenue will be from Chestnut Street to High Street beginning sometime this summer.

Service director Mike Dreisbach said that the city now has mobile speed radar display units that it will rotate through various targeted enforcement zones to make drivers aware of their speed in town.

The Oxford Bible Fellowship (OBF), located on the corner of Maple and Chestnut Streets, submitted its renovation plans to council at the meeting.

OBF plans to build an extension to their existing place of worship to increase the number of seats. The renovation will remove street access from Maple Street, but will leave the two street access points on Chestnut.

City Council will vote on the renovation plan next week. OBF plans to break ground on the addition in September.

City Council meets next week at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 16 in the Oxford Courthouse.

carlintm@miamioh.edu