Citizens provide input for township road plan

State Route 73 and Patterson Avenue (U.S. Route 27) are cited as an intersection with possible traffic flow problems in need of attention in Oxford's road plan.

Erin Bowen

The City of Oxford's Thoroughfare Plan is at a standstill, as city officials and Oxford Township representatives try to reach a compromise regarding the future of the community's roadways, intersections, transportation methods and new developments.

Currently, the plan is nearing the end of the third phase, a public commentary period in which citizens are able to voice concerns and suggestions.

The four-phase plan began in 2005 with phase one being where the problem was addressed by Oxford City Council. It then moved to phase two, where a planning company was hired to formulate. The process will culminate into phase four, when a final recommendation will be made to City Council.

Vice Mayor Prue Dana said the main objectives of the Thoroughfare Plan, a strategic study of community roadways and projected improvements, are to increase efficiency and connectivity of roads, increase the safety for both motorist and pedestrians at intersections and examine areas of future development.

"Right now we have all these little roads in the countryside," Dana said. "The question is whether or not new roads need to go in or if it's a question of simply improving them."

In contrast, Charles Stevens, Oxford Township citizen and Miami University geography and international studies professor, said he feels that those same country roads define Oxford.

"The pretty, rural roads are emblematic of Oxford," Stevens said.

Residents of the township are strongly concerned that new roads and development opportunities under the Thoroughfare Plan will significantly alter the community for the worse, particularly areas such as Brown and Bonham roads. Stevens said a lack of development maintains the rural nature of the community.

"The people who live in Oxford like it that way," Stevens said.

Stevens said he does make concessions that certain issues

concerning Oxford traffic flow do need to be addressed, as several historical barriers; such as farmhouses from the 1830s, Kramer Elementary School, and Miami University; prevent the easy flow of transportation. He furthermore cited the areas required attention as the intersection of state Route 73 and Patterson Avenue (U.S. Route 27) through Oxford and the areas of high truck frequency through High Street.

From the city standpoint, Dana said she sees a need for more efficient roadways to decrease the travel time of citizens and add to the overall transportation ease of the community.

Specifically, Dana pointed out the need for easier access to high-traffic areas such as Wal-Mart.

The city had not studied the area prior to the arrival of Wal-Mart, and Oxford no longer has authority to install more roadways in areas that are now privately owned, such as Wal-Mart, to connect to the commercial development, Dana explained.

"When we don't have a good system of connectivity, we make people take longer trips or unsafe trips," Dana said. "People can't drive directly so the trip is at least twice as long as it ought to be."

In general, the Thoroughfare Plan proposes to alleviate traffic and safety concerns for the city of Oxford and the surrounding township while also preparing for eventual development, both commercial and residential.

Oxford Community Development Director Jung-Han Chen similarly supports the need for greater community connectivity in roadways. Chen said he hopes that more efficient and convenient transportation routes will provide ease for citizens.

"Connectivity is something we have always been talking about," Chen said.

The trouble with the Thoroughfare Plan arises with discussion of jurisdiction. Beyond city limits, the Oxford City Council cannot impose changes on the surrounding township properties, based on a ruling by the Butler County prosecutor, Stevens added.

Dana emphasized the importance of city-township relations because of the immediate exchange of roadways at the border.

"People who live in the township have made suggestions about what they would like or not like to see in the area," Dana said.

Dana also added that township trustees approved a land use study by Butler County to help an agreement be reached.

In response to the proposed Thoroughfare Plan, Stevens confirmed that several neighborhood organizations have formed and Oxford Township trustees' meetings have been held to protect the individual interests of the township. Stevens said attendance at the dozen or so meetings has reached near 200, with as many more necessary meetings to come.

"We have to realize that citizens, city commissioners, trustees, councilmen all need to work together to not have contrasting comprehensive plans," Stevens said.

According to Stevens, township residents fear that rural Oxford could transform into an urbanized area such as West Chester.

Representatives from the City of Oxford also reiterate the need for cooperation.

"Working together is very important," Dana said. "We are not an isolated community."

Chen echoed Dana's sentiments.

"We need to take enough time to gather input from the citizens," Chen said.

Chen estimated the public commentary period will be complete April 17.

"The planning committee will make a final report and present it to City Council for a final review," Chen said, commenting on procedure after the public commentary period, at a meeting to come.

Chen said he predicts approximately six to 12 months before the plan is finalized.

Despite the serious concerns and differences raised by members of the township and the city of Oxford, compromise is possible, in the minds of both Charles Stevens and Prue Dana.

"It's just a Thoroughfare Plan," Stevens said. "Ideally we need to make sure that the township comprehensive plan and the city plan do not have any gross contradictions."

Dana is hopeful that the plan will be both beneficial and collaborative.

"It is important to make a system that is flexible and can be checked and revisited if necessary,"Dana said.