Chuck Martin hires six assistant coaches

Tom Downey, Sports Editor

Miami University head football coach Chuck Martin has hired six assistants to join his coaching staff.

Matt Pawlowski, Corey Brown, Autry Denson, John Hauser, Bill Brechin and Joe Placic join a Miami staff that has already hired three other coaches

Pawlowski will serve as defensive coordinator, Brown will be the defensive line coach, Denson will be the running backs coach and Hauser will be the defensive backs coach. Brechin and Placic will be assistant coaches, but their roles haven't been announced yet.

In addition to being the defensive coordinator, Pawlowski will serve as a position coach to be announced later. Pawlowski has been a coach for over 30 years, with his most recent stop at Western Carolina, where he served as defensive coordinator from 2008 to 2011.

Before that, he was a defensive assistant coach under Martin at Grand Valley State from 2004 to 2007. He coached the linebackers for his first two years at Grand Valley State and was the defensive coordinator from 2006 to 2007.

Pawlowski has made a pair of stops in the Mid-American Conference, coaching at Ohio University for six seasons and Eastern Michigan for a season.

Brown played in the Arena Football League for five years after graduating from the University of Iowa in 1999. Brown has served as a graduate assistant the past two seasons at the University of Notre Dame.

Denson is the all-time leading rusher at Notre Dame. He was drafted in the seventh round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and played for the Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts during his four-year NFL career. He has spent the last three seasons as the running backs coach for Bethune-Cookman University.

Hauser comes to Miami after a two-year stint as the safeties and outside linebackers coach at The Citadel. Before that, he was the director of player personnel at the University of Illinois. He spent four years as the defensive coordinator at Wayne State University and six years coaching for Northern Illinois University. He was a graduate assistant at NIU for three years and defensive backs coach for the final three years.

Brechin has made a pair of stops that overlap with Martin, serving as an offensive assistant at Notre Dame when Martin was offensive coordinator and was a graduate assistant at Grand Valley State for two years when Martin was head coach. He spent two years as a football intern at Notre Dame for two years. His most recent stop was serving as the wide receivers coach at Grand Valley State.

Palcic is coming home to Miami. He was a Miami linebacker under the late Randy Walker from 1994 to 1997. He then coached under the late Terry Hoeppner at both Miami and Indiana University. He filled several roles as a Miami coach from 1999 to 2004, including serving as co-defensive coordinator for a season. He followed Hoeppner to Indiana, where he served as defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach for six years. His most recent stop was as a defensive analyst for the University of Alabama.

Martin and Miami have yet to fill a few notable coaching positions, including special teams coordinator, wide receivers coach and linebackers coach.