Chief Justice Eric Brown to speak at reception uptown

Kelsey Bishop, Community Editor

Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court Eric Brown will be the guest of honor at a reception co-sponsored by Miami University College Democrats, which will take place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday at Kona Bistro.

According to Don Daiker, Butler County Political Action Committee president, this is Brown's first trip to Butler County since Gov. Ted Strickland appointed him as chief justice, and this is his first trip ever to Oxford.

"I think he was impressed by the fact that the Oxford community is so enthusiastic and so active in support of democratic candidates on both the state and local levels," Daiker said. "We invited him a month ago and promised there would be a gathering of very active democrats who would be supporting him in the upcoming election."

Brown said he was happy to accept the invitation and that he takes every opportunity he can to meet with people throughout Ohio and talk with them about the court system.

"I'm travelling the state all the time and speaking with people about the importance of balance on the Supreme Court and how the justice system can matter to them," Brown said. "More importantly, I want to listen to people and hear what's on people's minds to see what they think about our courts."

Senior Aaron Bly, president of the College Democrats, encourages students to attend the event.

"This is a really huge event to have a justice potential come and visit us, especially with his credentials," Bly said. "It'll be nice to have him be a reminder that voting is right around the corner and to make people more politically-minded before the election."

Both Bly and Daiker said they see Brown's visit as signaling a change in the political climate of Butler County.

"I see his coming here as a sign of Butler County gradually, but surely, moving from republican to democratic," Daiker said.

Daiker said Brown is expected to speak around 6:40 p.m. Other guests include local democratic candidates for the county central committee in the May 4 election.

"I want to make sure that folks know that courts throughout the state are accessible to everyone and that all people who visit courts will be heard," Brown said. "I also want to encourage students' future plans and let them know that they can do anything they want to do."

The Ohio Supreme Court is comprised of seven Republicans, and Brown is the endorsed Democrat on this November's ballot.

"I'm really excited to meet him and see what he does in the upcoming election," Bly said.

Tickets for the reception can be purchased at the door for $10. There will also be a cash bar a complimentary appetizers.

"Students have already demonstrated just by being students in a wonderful university like Miami that they are eager to learn and they are curious about the world, so I'm glad I'll get a chance to be heard by them," Brown said.

To become a sponsor or host for this event, contact Clyde Brown at ebrown@muohio.edu or 513-523-0883. All sponsors or hosts receive one ticket, acknowledgement at the reception and a photograph with Brown.