CBS News journalist to relate experiences

Michelle Scaglione

Award-winning journalist, Bob Schieffer, will be bringing his national experience in journalism to Oxford, as he will be speaking at Miami University as part of the Miami University Lecture Series.

The speech, "From the Anchor's Desk, Facing the Nation," will be given March 5 in Hall Auditorium.

Schieffer, the current host of CBS's Face the Nation, covered Washington D.C. for CBS News for more than 35 years - having the opportunity to anchor both the weekday and weekend evening news.

Howard Kleiman, professor of mass communication who also helps bring speakers to Miami for the lecture series, said that journalists are a category of speakers that the University Lecture Series Committee considers often.

"Journalists are popular with interesting things to say," Kleiman said.

Kleiman said Schieffer was chosen for his involvement with Miami's Inside Washington Program, his popularity, and his experience with reporting on the White House, the Pentagon, the State Department, and Capitol Hill as the CBS Evening News Chief Washington correspondent.

"His credentials are terrific," Kleiman said.

Senior strategic communication major Darcy Little met Schieffer this summer when she participated in the Inside Washington Program.

"I think he's a very credible person who cares a lot about students," Little said. "When we went to Washington this summer he took the time to show around the studio personally. He really cares about the accuracy of the information in the news and that people get that information."

While at Miami, Schieffer will attend an invitation-only seminar and dinner before the 8 p.m. lecture. Those chosen to participate in the seminar will mainly be students from related journalism and political science fields. After the lecture, a public reception with Schieffer will be held at a location that is still to be decided.

Tristan Chan, a sophomore journalism student, will "definitely" be attending the lecture and is excited to hear a high profile name at Miami.

"It is always very interesting to hear someone speak who has as much knowledge and experience as (Schieffer) does," Chan said. "It's definitely a good thing (that Miami brings speakers such as Schieffer to campus), as it is always great to have people who have experience in their respective fields speak."

Schieffer has also been a floor reporter at all of the Democratic and Republican national conventions since 1972 and has won many awards throughout his career. He is a member of the Broadcasting/Cable Hall of Fame, was chosen as the 2002 Broadcaster of the Year by the National Press Foundation, won six Emmy Awards, and the 2004 International Radio and Television Society Foundation Award.

Schieffer also authored Face the Nation: My Favorite Stories From the First 50 Years of the Award-winning News Broadcast and This Just In: What I Couldn't Tell You on TV.

Tickets to Schieffer's lecture are required, but free. The 735 tickets go on sale to the Miami community Feb. 28 at the Shriver Center box office. If any tickets remain, they will be available March 2 for the general public.