Career Fair features over 200 employers

Laura Hower, For The Miami Student

September 19, 2012, Career Fair will be held 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. in Millet Hall, in which employers will be waiting patiently for students to come to them.

Carol Fink, program associate at Career Services who is coordinating Career Fair, said she expects a record turnout of employers. With 230 employers expected, this is the third Career Fair in which attendance has exceeded 200.

Sophomore creative writing major Jenna Presar said she is concerned there will not be any employers present who will be looking for majors such as hers.

"Will they specifically cater to my major? Probably not, and if they do, [it will be] a limited amount," Presar said. "It would be a lot more fortunate if they could get more people in my major there, but I can understand why it would be difficult to do so."

However, according to Fink 64 out of the 224 employers who are sure to attend have no major requirements whatsoever. Any major will be able to apply for such positions.

Sophomore James Goldzwig, who is a mechanical engineering major, said he believes employers may have a bias towards business majors but understands why many would be looking for them.

"If you have someone working for you that knows how a business works, you'll probably get more profit from them," Goldzwig said. "Do I think it's fair? Not really. Do I think it's smart? Yes."

Fink said that many employers are looking for other majors such as communications, information technology (IT) and engineering. There are also three hospitals attending, a company interested in social sciences and Military branches.

Career Fair offers internships to those that will not be graduating in 2013. According to Fink, 139 employers are offering internships and nearly all of them offer full-time positions as well.

Sept. 10 and 12 there will be a training session for students on what to wear to the fair, what to bring, and strategies to use.

More information can be found online at http://www.units.muohio.edu/careers/.