Car plates may ID sex offenders

Erin Bowen

Sex offenders in the state of Ohio may have to obtain fluorescent green license plates if a bill proposed to the state legislature is passed. Yet the effectiveness of such a proposal on both the safety of Ohioans and the potential deterrence of future crimes is being debated statewide.

Ohio State Senator Kevin Coughlin (R) and House Representative Michael DeBose (D) proposed a bill Feb. 28 at the National Conference of State Legislation that would require registered Ohio sex offenders and predators to use specially designated fluorescent green license plates.

Patrick Katzemeyer, representative for Congressman DeBose, explained that it is DeBose's intention to use House Bill 217 to safeguard children from the worst sex offenders in Ohio.

"The bill will only affect Ohio's most violent and repeat offenders," Katzemeyer said.

While there are eight levels of sexual offenses categorized by the Ohio justice system, Katzemeyer said DeBose intends to target only the top three tiers of criminal convictions - child predators, who are individuals convicted of sex offenses and deemed likely to commit further crimes; violent abusers, such as in cases of rape; and repeat child offenders, who are individuals convicted of more than one offense. Each tier faces varying levels of registration requirements in the state.

Katzemeyer further explained that convicted sex offenders would be required to use the license plate for five years before applying for removal and that the court system would have complete discretion over the time frame for removal of the plate.

Keith Dailey, spokesperson for Ohio Governor Ted Strickland, said Strickland supports the bill.

"If the General Assembly passes this bill, the governor will sign it," Dailey said.

Yet, the bipartisan bill does face opposition and concerns.

David Singleton; executive director of the Ohio Justice and Policy Center, a nonprofit interest group aimed at reforming Ohio's justice system; said he is concerned that forcing convicted sex criminals to use the green license plates is a violation of civil liberties.

"It's a stupid, wrong-headed law," Singleton said.

John Kinkel, Miami University visiting assistant professor in criminology, said that the license plate proposal is incomplete and overlooks the more serious issues behind sexual abuse.

"I think in general we clap our hands and say we've dealt with the problem, when we really have a lot to do," Kinkel says. "This means society investing money as we deal with seriously ill people."

According to Kinkel, the American Psychiatric Association stated in 1980 that pedophilia was incurable, along with alcoholism.

Kinkel points out, however, that alcoholism, like other addictions, can be controlled through therapy and psychological counseling although sufferers are very prone to relapse.

Kinkel suggested a more pro-active approach to dealing with sex offenders.

"Some sort of deterrence is needed after (sex offenders) serve their time," Kinkel said. "We need a type of mandatory after care if they are feeling a relapse."

Furthermore, Kinkel worries the special license plates will cause people to be resistant to voluntary treatment or to seek out other forms of transportation to commit crimes.

"Why use a car with a (green) flag on it?" Kinkel points out. "I think the green license plate concept has a very limited application in policing these types of deviant acts."

Michael Jacobs, deputy sheriff of the Butler County Sheriff's Office, said Ohio already has strict criteria for sex offenders and predators. Jacobs said, however, after the passage of the federal Adam Walsh Act in July 2006 - which required increased tracking of sex offenders, including a nationwide registry - Ohio is continuing to crackdown on sexual abuse.

According to Jacobs, sex offenders charged with rape, battery, kidnapping, abduction, corruption or prostitution and sexual predators, meaning those prone to repeat offenses, are held to strict constraints within Ohio.

"If you are a sexual predator in Ohio, you must register every 90 days with the deputy sheriff," Jacobs said.

Sex offenders, however, are only required to register every six months. Additionally, offenders cannot live within 1,000 feet of a school, Jacobs said.

The idea of colored license plates to designate certain criminals is not a new concept to Ohioans.

Jacobs said the proposed license plate bill is very similar to Ohio's DUI law, which requires drivers with two DUI infractions within six years to use yellow license plates.

However, when discussing the possible new license plates for sex offenders, Jacobs shares a similar opinion to Kinkel. He has doubts about the effectiveness of the license plate bill.

"Most offenders know how to beat the system, and they do try," Jacobs said.