Campaign for letter writing ends, hopes for positive results

Catherine Couretas

Would a handwritten letter from a current Miami University student have impacted your decision to become a Redhawk?

Student Body President Mike Scott's proposal to write letters to accepted students became a reality, and he hopes it has an impact on the potential students.

"When the story ran in The Miami Student (March 3) we got in contact with the Office of Admission, and they were extremely receptive about it," Scott said. "We've gotten a lot of e-mails and positive feedback."

Scott said Associated Student Government (ASG) was able to provide the postcards, while the Office of Admission provided the postage and lists of students, and that he was happy with the students that have been involved.

"We've been excited with the people that have been here and the quality of the letters has been strong," Scott said.

President David Hodge said he also liked the idea of writing to accepted students.

"I think one of the real special qualities of Miami is the personal touch," Hodge said. "A handwritten card like this says that loud and clear."

Hodge added the letter writing campaign is a great way to inform accepted students from another aspect.

"One of the things you struggle with is letting potential students know what it's like," Hodge said.

Even if students who receive a postcard choose not to attend Miami, Hodge said he thinks it will still have a positive influence.

"Even if students choose not to come here, they and their parents get a more positive impact and impression of Miami," Hodge said. "Obviously Miami isn't for everybody, but the most important thing is that we want them to know who we are."

He said students who receives letters might mention Miami to relatives or family who may be interested in attending school here.

Though Scott said he would have liked to see more people attend the three letter writing sessions during the past couple weeks, he was happy to see involvement and knew it could expand eventually.

"I think we're getting there," Scott said. "We're hoping that next year we can expand and make it bigger."

Hodge said he saw a good turnout, and even if students did not attend there are other ways they can help out accepted students.

"The more students the better and, if not writing letters, making sure that if you see someone that's on campus visiting, holding up a map, you help them out," Hodge said.

Hodge added a student voice is much more credible, which is why he liked the idea of the letter writing campaign.

Scott agreed the idea of a personal letter means a lot more.

"You have to put yourself in the shoes of the person getting this postcard," Scott said, while writing some postcards himself. "On my way out the door I feel like I'm opening the door for someone else."