CAC revamps Homecoming

Miami University students celebrate Homecoming 2009 with a bonfire at Millett Hall. This year, Homecoming events will be different from the past.

Stephen Bell, Campus Editor

Miami University students celebrate Homecoming 2009 with a bonfire at Millett Hall. This year, Homecoming events will be different from the past. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

Students will see changes to this year's Homecoming events as the 2010 committee created a new line-up of activities for Reinvent Red.

"CAC is turning the week into a competition," said senior Cortni Kossmeyer, Homecoming co-chair for the Campus Activities Council (CAC). "Events are open to all students and student organizations."

Kossmeyer said this year's festivities will allow student organizations to compete against one another.

"One cool thing about this year is the blood drive," she said. "It's open to all students, but donors from student organizations can earn points."

She said 46 organizations are registered to participate in the events, which include the blood drive, uptown window decorating, flag football, Homecoming court and the Homecoming parade.

The student organization or residence hall that accumulates the most points will receive $1,500. The winner will be announced at halftime during the Homecoming football game.

Another new feature of Reinvent Red is the uptown pig roast. Kossmeyer said CAC is working with the Black Students Action Association (BSAA) to deliver live music and Voices of Color, a BSAA annual event.

"We are trying to collaborate and bring multiple student organizations to the same place at the same time," she said.

Red Fest is also a new addition to Miami's 2010 Homecoming celebration. Kossmeyer said Red Fest will take place Oct. 22 on Roudebush lawn and will feature a Style Your Sole event hosted by Tom's Shoes.

Kossmeyer said the parade and rally will take place at Tailgate Town before the football game to attract more alumni.

In all, Kossmeyer said the CAC hopes to involve more students and organizations in this year's Homecoming activities. The weeklong celebration runs Oct. 18 to 23 and leads up to the Miami v. Ohio University football game at 1 p.m. Oct. 23.

For a full schedule of Reivnent Red activities, visit www.muohio.edu/homecoming.