Brick Street, 45 East owners to open new pizza parlor

Will and Mark Weisman hope to open their newest restaurant in the old Hungry Howie's location on Church Street.

Jillian Dickman

Will's Uptown Pizza - operating under the same ownership team as Brick Street, 45 East Bar and Grill and Tonic - will soon launch in the same location as the late Hungry Howie's.

Brothers Will and Mark Weisman are looking to address Miami University students' taste buds as they begin to open their latest restaurant.

"Our main goal is to take pizza to a new level with great flavor that stays in tune with the tastes of Miami students," Will Weisman said. "We also wanted to name it something that would be catchy and familiar enough to everyone due in part to capture the fact that I know so many students on campus."

Weisman said he and his brother are hosting a series of tastings to further engage Miami students - the majority of their clientele - in their business while receiving their input.

"We want our students to be part of the process as well," Weisman said. "Ultimately what it comes down to is getting enough feedback to meet the expectations of everyone is Oxford."

Weisman also said he is looking to create a brand of pizza that is not "too generic" and is unique because of comments he has heard from many students.

"We want to take pizza and do something better with it," Weisman said. "We want others to try our sauce or cheese before we sell it to make sure we are fulfilling the needs of everyone."

Weisman said he aims to incorporate the menus from all his restaurants into Will's Uptown Pizza's menu.

"We do plan to do a great deal of cross-promoting within the three restaurants," Weisman said. "In addition to pizza, we are also thinking about serving subs and salads as well."

Alan Kyger, Oxford's economic development director, said he has high hopes for the Weisman duo.

"Hungry Howie's did not have exposure on High Street," Kyger said. "By integrating their pizza into Brick Street and 45 East, my assumption is that they will be more successful."

Though operation hours are not finalized yet, the owners plan to remain open late into the night. Weisman said they intend for the restaurant to stay open until 4 a.m. and offer delivery in addition to dining in and carry-out.

Many students await the arrival of a new pizza restaurant with anticipation, believing they will establish themselves more successfully than Hungry Howie's.

"I think that this new place will be very profitable especially if they are open late nights," sophomore Brigid Carey said. "Though the location is not ideal for me, I often ordered out from Hungry Howie's and will expect to do the same thing again."

"Pizza is my late night choice of food," junior Katie Lenahan said. "It would be especially great if they had free delivery for students due to the fact that many of us frequently order from places like Shriver that do not charge for delivery."

Some students said they expect a different outcome for this newly renovated location due in part to its off-High Street location.

"I do not think it will be successful," first-year Taylor Hedric said. "It is hidden in the back streets, away from the crowd."

First-year Liz Stark said she is uncertain a locally owned pizza parlor will be able to compete with well-known franchises.

"I am afraid to branch out," Stark said. "I prefer Hungry Howie's because it is a franchise."

Others students said they feel the new project will thrive due partly to the already recognized owners of Brick Street and 45 East Bar and Grill.

"I believe that the owners are what will help this place be more successful," junior Chris Dennison said. "Brick (Street) is

already so popular and so was Hungry Howie's. If they link the two together I think it will become popular quickly."

Will's Uptown Pizza is set to open around Nov. 1 of this year.

The restaurant will be able to be reached at (513) 524-WILL.