Board of trustees awards tenure to 5 faculty members

Stephen Bell

The Miami University board of trustees approved dozens of recommendations for promotions and tenure Feb. 6, and according to University Provost Jeffrey Herbst, such promotions illustrate the university's continuous commitment to education and professional excellence.

As listed in a university news release, the faculty members approved for tenure are Valerie Cross of computer science and systems analysis, geography professor Carl Dahlman, Timothy Eaton of accountancy, art professor Ira Greenberg and James Tobin from the journalism department.

According to Herbst, a professor who achieves tenure status has essentially been given a contract from the university saying his or her position cannot be terminated without just cause.

Herbst said the termination of tenure faculty is a rare occurrence.

"The only scenario that could warrant the removal of tenure status would consist of either gross professional misconduct or violation of the law," Herbst said.

Tenure status, outlined by Herbst, is given after evaluation of a professor's individual scholarship and creative activity.

"Most, if not all of the faculty given tenure, have published material in one form or another, whether it be traditional writing, music, or painting," Herbst said.

Newly tenured Tobin has worked at the Oxford campus since 2006. Tobin said he takes pride in the recent honor.

"Receiving tenure means not only job security, but also a recognition of the work I have done, both as an author and in the classroom," Tobin said.

A newcomer to the teaching profession, Tobin was published well before his academic career at Miami. Among his many works, Tobin has published material about war correspondents during World War II titled Reporting America at War, as well as To Conquer the Air: The Wright Brothers and the Great Race for Flight, which chronicles Orville and Wilbur Wright and their process toward human aviation.

Currently at work on his next book that follows President Franklin D. Roosevelt and his struggle with polio, Tobin said his teaching experience at Miami has differed from his experience as a student at the University of Michigan.

"When I went to school at Michigan, and I did so through my doctorate degree, research was the top priority," Tobin said. "Not to bash Michigan in any way, but at Miami, concentration is truly on the classroom. I have been able to interact with students on a personal level. It is nice to be able to say that I personally know many of the students whom I have taught."

Herbst said the tenure process enhances the educational environment at Miami.

"The opportunity for intimate learning environments and strong classroom focus stem from both an emphasis on undergraduate education and the tenure process as a whole," Herbst said.

Although other universities have done away with tenure acknowledgement because of research priorities and an ailing economy, Herbst said Miami has continuously adhered to the goal of professional excellence.

"At Miami, we have maintained a commitment to academic excellence, and that starts with the professors," Herbst said. "Even in a bad economy, our priorities will not be affected. When a professor is given tenure, the university is reflected upon positively."

Tobin said the priority given to education at Miami rivals that of other schools, where both tenure and student-teacher interaction are becoming rarities.

"The three jobs given to a university professor include research, teaching and service," Tobin said. "While other schools will claim otherwise, 90 percent of that workload is dedicated toward research. At Miami, 40 percent is truly allotted to teaching, which in my opinion, makes for the ideal ratio."