Board of Regents standards improve Ohio education

Editorial Editor, The Miami Student

With the mandate of the Ohio Board of Regents, Ohio's higher education system will become a much more standardized system for all students.

With the increased focus on allowing students to easily transfer their credits from college to college and the statewide transition to a semester-based school year, Ohio is set to improve the educational system in very meaningful ways.

The editorial board of The Miami Student believes students not only benefit from a more flexible and consistent educational standard, but there are many other positive side effects of this decision.

As the economy slowly recovers, students who might not normally be able to afford an entire four-year stay at Miami University can now fulfill basic university requirements and transfer those credits, then focus on the specific educational path Miami may offer.

At the same time, with the institution of semesters across all colleges, scheduling conflicts for internships may become a thing of the past.

Often internships can only be offered during certain times, and with all schools operating on the same semester schedule, such positions can be focused on the availability of students statewide.

The intent and action of the Board of Regents is a net benefit for Ohio schools, but also for Ohio students. Students will no longer feel tied down to a single school if they find it isn't a good fit, which may have ended up being too much of a hassle due to credits not properly transferring between schools.

A standardized statewide semester schedule also opens up more possibility for colleges and universities to collaborate and share educational resources where school schedules may have made a correspondence too difficult in t he past.

The board is pleased to see Ohio taking positive steps toward bettering the school system on these fronts, and hopes it is indicative of even more similar improvements in uniting the statewide university system in the future