Bill would make all day kindergarten optional

Jenni Wiener, Senior Staff Writer

Children may be facing a threat to their education in the future if the Ohio General Assembly passes House Bill 30.

There is discussion within the new legislature to eliminate mandates costing money, Talawanda School District Superintendent Phil Cagwin said.

This includes some cuts to public education, including the mandate for all-day kindergarten.

"The pro would be that it is financially easier for districts to offer half-day (kindergarten) programs," Cagwin said. "It would be a financial win for the schools and the taxpayers."

Ohio government officials are looking at tough times with budget issues, said Patrick Gallaway, spokesperson for the Ohio Department of Education. Beginning two years ago, all-day kindergarten was required, but schools can have waivers for half-day programs.

"Eliminating full-day kindergarten would be a cost-saving measure," Gallaway said. "We want to give children the best opportunities for education in Ohio, but we have to follow the legislature. Creative alternatives to full-day kindergarten could be developed to keep children on track. We want to offer the maximum opportunities by spending the least amount of money."

If the bill is passed, schools will determine staff levels based upon the number of students, according to Gallaway. There will also be resource allocation and schools will have to determine the new structure for the academic year.

"The costs and anticipated savings that this bill will bring are still unknown at this time," Gallaway said. "The legislative service commission is still in the process of developing budget analysis."

Cagwin said he believes all-day kindergarten is the right thing to do for children.

"Kids would get a half-year more of contact time in the classroom and learn at a quicker pace," Cagwin said. "If they don't have all-day kindergarten, they risk being behind other children."

According to Cagwin, 75 percent of parents in the Talawanda district prefer all-day kindergarten.

Because of this statistic, if the bill passes, Talawanda will not change its current program.

"We already provide both full-day and half-day kindergarten," Cagwin said. "Some districts are concerned about having to hire more teachers and have more classrooms, but Talawanda already has adequate staffing and space. If the bill is passed, we would run exactly as we are now. Parents should have the right of both options."

Ohio Education Association (OEA) Media Relations Representative Michele Prater disagrees with eliminating full-day kindergarten.

"OEA strongly supports universal all-day kindergarten," she said. "Research shows its importance particularly on overcoming adverse affects of poverty, language and cultural differences and disabilities on children's opportunity to learn."

Prater said OEA believes Ohio should help school districts fulfill obligations and maintain local flexibility for districts looking to address challenges of implementation.

"In times of limited resources, all-day kindergarten is a strategic investment that should be prioritized because of its long-term impact on students' success," Prater said.