Bill gives workers more options

JD Prewitt, Staff Writer

The Ohio House of Representatives is trying to pass a bill that will give small business employees the option of choosing between over-time pay and compensatory time for work done over the regular 40-hour work week.

House Bill 61, aimed at "mom and pop" businesses which gross less than $500,000 a year, states only an employee can decide whether to choose the compensatory time option. The bill will require a written agreement between employer and employee stating that negotiations regarding the use of compensatory time instead of overtime pay were started by the worker.

According to Cory Fleming, legislative aide for Representative Jarod Martin, if employees choose the option of compensatory time, they are not locked into that decision for the duration of employment. If need be, one can change their stance from week to week.

Fleming said the bill will "allow small business owners to do what they do best," by hiring employees and providing excellent services.

According to Fleming, the bill is an attempt to offer small businesses some flexibility in relation to employees and worrisome payroll costs, ideally leading to expansion and job growth.

Andrew Schmidt, manager of Xtend Technologies in Oxford, sees the benefits and drawbacks to the bill.

"It's a good idea, gives (employees) a chance to have a day to themselves," Schmidt said. "It could also hinder by employees taking time off at the same time."

The bill also states that if an employee chooses the option of compensatory time, it is at the sole discretion of the employer as to whether or not an employee can have any given day off.

Junior Alex Krusinski finds the bill to be beneficial for employers and employees.

"(It) gives the employee the sense of choice but they have no right to take off that day without their employer's consent," Krusinski said.

HB 61 also gives employers the right to cut off compensatory time as they see fit, given that they notify the employee 30 days ahead of time.

While HB 61 has been passed out of committee, the waiting game is on to see whether or not it makes it out of the house.