Big plans in place for Treadwell

Head Coach Don Treadwell talks to members of the football team during training camp. Treadwell’s plans include keeping Miami atop the Mid-American Conference for years to come.

JM Rieger, Staff Writer

Head Coach Don Treadwell talks to members of the football team during training camp. Treadwell’s plans include keeping Miami atop the Mid-American Conference for years to come. (CONTRIBUTED BY MICHAEL PEARSON)

Entering his first season at the helm of the Miami University football team, Head Coach Don Treadwell is looking to instill a winning mentality once again in a RedHawk squad that went from "worst to first" last season.

"One thing we have talked about this year is taking the next step and creating and developing the mindset of being the dominant team in the Mid-American Conference," Treadwell said. "The four pillars [that we follow] are faith, trust, discipline, and passion. It is an ongoing process but we are building respect and trust [among the players and coaches]."

Having coached alongside the likes of Tyrone Willingham, Mark Dantonio and Jim Tressel has helped prepare Treadwell for this opportunity, not to mention his two previous stints with Miami as a player and as a coach.

"Each individual [coach] is unique," Treadwell said. "I've learned from each of them but they are more similar than different from each other. It's been a blessing to be around these tremendous [coaches]."

Treadwell was a four-year starter at wide receiver for the RedHawks before becoming an assistant coach at Youngstown State University after `six seasons with the Penguins, Treadwell spent two seasons as an assistant at Miami before having holding various positions with the University of Cincinnati, Stanford University, Boston College, North Carolina State University, Michigan State University and Ball State University.

Over the past four seasons, Treadwell was the Offensive Coordinator at Michigan State University where he engineered one of the most balanced offensive attacks in the Big Ten Conference and where he was nominated in his final year for the Broyles Award, which is given to the nation's top assistant coach every year.

This RedHawk squad has had to overcome numerous obstacles thus far, including a new coaching staff for the third time in four years. This transition has been one of the main things Treadwell has focused on in his first few months as head coach.

"The transition has been good," Treadwell said. "There is a sense of comfort and excitement. I know the lay of the land, this being my third time here, which makes it extra special for me."

Treadwell's experiences at Miami have helped him gain the respect and trust of his players, which has made a huge difference both on and off the field.

"It's always hard to have a coaching change," redshirt senior wide receiver Chris Givens said. "Guys have adapted well and like the philosophy and schemes that [Treadwell] is bringing with him. It is always good to have a Miamian and a former Miami football player because you can relate his stories and experiences with your own."

Treadwell is excited to be back coaching at his alma mater where he has been able to reconnect with a variety of individuals who impacted his life at Miami. Treadwell now hopes to do the same for his players and on coaching staff.

"It is very special for me to come back and still have people here who helped mentor me when I was at Miami, including faculty such as Dr. Susan Lipnickey," Treadwell said. "She helped me in my life to see the big picture and the academic part of the equation [of being a student-athlete]. I am a better coach because of her and I hope to instill these values into our players."