Big Brothers Big Sisters to host bowling fund-raiser

Brett Nuckles

Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) of Butler County is taking steps to make its bowling philanthropy event this year appeal to community members outside of its normal Miami University student participants.

With a long history in Oxford, Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) of Butler County will host its 25-year anniversary of Bowl for Kids Sake at Oxford Lanes March 24.

Jessica Greene, director of BBBS school programs, explains that the difference in this year's event, as opposed to years past, is the emphasis on attracting a broader audience to the fund-raiser.

"We've done them in Oxford in the past," Greene said. "But they were more focused on the campus community. This year we're trying to market it better so we can reach a broader audience."

She emphasized that anyone in the community can participate in the fund-raiser, students and local residents alike.

For the first time, BBBS of Butler County has hired one person whose sole job is to run and promote Bowl for Kids Sake. Greene explained that having a single person focusing on Bowl for Kids sake has helped the project to be more focused.

"Call it a change of attitude," she said. "We're trying to broaden our message. We want everyone to know that they can join in and help us out." Julie Dichtl, development

director for BBBS of Butler County, emphasized the importance of fund raising for BBBS.

"What we do doesn't raise any money," Dichtl said. "We don't charge for our services, so we have to find other ways to bring in funding. That's what Bowl for Kids Sake is all about."

The BBBS mentorship program pairs children with an older mentor, known as a Big Brother or a Big Sister.

The event asks each bowler to collect pledge money, prior to bowling, in support of the mentorship program. As a nonprofit, volunteer-driven program, BBBS relies on donations and fund-raisers such as this one for support.

All Bowl for Kids Sake donations will go toward recruiting, training and supervising new mentors. Ideally, mentors serve as a friend and role model to children in need.

In 2006 alone, BBBS of Butler County served 900 children in the community.

"It costs over $900 a year to run just one school program," Greene said. "Every bit we raise helps us to support additional programs."

To participate in Bowl for Kids Sake, groups form teams of four to six people. Individual team members are asked to collect pledges from family, friends or anyone interested in helping the cause.

"You can ask anyone to sponsor you: Friends, family, co-workers - whoever wants to help out," said Julie Hammond, BBBS program director at Kramer Elementary in Oxford.

Hammond encourages people of all skill levels to get involved with the event.

"You don't have to be a good bowler to get involved," Hammond said. "I'm not so sure how good I am anymore, but I'm looking forward to it anyway."

The event promises more than just bowling - a golf putting contest, a silent auction of sports memorabilia and other games are also planned.

Active BBBS mentor and past participant in Bowl for Kids Sake, Miami senior Scott Endicott said he would advise anyone who is interested to check it out.

"I bowled last semester," he said. "It's a friendly competition, but it's for a great cause. You just go out with your friends and bowl. It's a really good time."

For pledges totaling $100 or more, each team member will receive one free game of bowling, a Big Brother Big Sister T-shirt and free food and drinks.

Bowl for Kids Sake is open to bowlers of all ages. Small children are also invited to participate.

The event is from 2-3:30 p.m. March 24. Interested bowlers can register online at www.bbbsbutlercounty.com.