Belize has potential to grow

Will Hoyt

As the cruise ship reggae band performed "Hot Hot Hot" for the sixth time, I figured it was time for a change. I'm all about lounging, but only to an extent. I had planned only one excursion on my spring break trip, a trip to the Mayan ruins in Belize. I knew little about the country heading in, but soon discovered how unique the country really is, especially when considering the history of its neighboring countries.

For a country the size of Massachusetts, Belize has quite a story. Nestled between Mexico and Guatemala, Belize was home to several Mayan settlements before Spain and Britain began to dispute the region. It formerly became a British colony in 1854, and didn't gain full independence until as late as 1981. Today, they still have disputes with the Spanish settled Guatemala, who claim Belize belongs to them.

Because of its youth, Belize still has ties to Britain but governs itself through a parliamentary democracy. The Queen has only visited the country once and the locals attribute her dissatisfaction with a native dish made with rodent as the reason. Although one could point out post colonial reliance, Britain's backing has provided them with relative stability in a historically unstable region. Contributing to the stability is the impressive claim that it is one of the only countries in the region never to have a civil war. Remaining neutral in regional conflicts, providing asylum to those in conflict and having a relatively non-authoritarian government must have helped.

As pointed out by Taz, my tour guide, the prime minister lives in his own house on the island amongst neighbors. This is a far cry from their Central American neighbors who have experienced problems with caudillo rulers who attempt to hold their lavish presidential palaces.

Another difference from their neighbors is the impact illicit drugs have on the country. While they surely have small scale issues, it is nowhere near that of Mexico who lives next door. Not sharing a direct border with the lucrative U.S. drug market helps, but frequent roadside checkpoints and a strict laws have helped to deter traffickers as well.

I couldn't help but be impressed with Belize. While it is surely developing into a tourist destination for cruise ships, it still remains relatively under developed. A large portion of its land is unused, and their low population of 300,000 is in stark comparison to geographically — similar El Salvador's over seven million.

This, in combination with an extremely young population, with about 40 percent under 14 years of age, suggests they are ready to grow. It is only a matter of time before investors and retirees pick up on Belize's benefits, like a tax free first year to those who take up residence. The countless brightly uniformed school children I passed while touring the country will eventually grow to join the workers.

Can Belize keep up its growth and maintain relative harmony? They will need to supply the growing younger generation with jobs, both to stimulate the economy and avoid increased crime rates. If Belize is successful, l it will have the potential of any Central American country. As Taz would say, "Belize it or not."