Basketball deserves new home

Mike Zoller

A few weeks ago we ran a column calling for more fan support at Millett Hall for both men's and women's basketball.

The responses we got to that column were overwhelming. Students emphatically voiced their opinion on the fan support problem at Millett Hall.

The solution: Miami needs a new basketball arena.

I couldn't agree more. Millett is just about the last place you want to play basketball. It doesn't have the same atmosphere as Goggin, Yager or any of the other homes for RedHawk athletics.

In the past five years, Miami has improved or rebuilt a new stadium for virtually every major varsity sport.

Yager Stadium got an $8.5 million facelift in 2004, which included a new scoreboard and a beautiful new student section which actually made you feel like you were at a football stadium.

The hockey team moved into their new $34.8 million home in Steve Cady Arena this season and now host one of the nicest arenas in all of college hockey.

In 2002 the baseball team moved into its new $3.7 million home, McKie Field at Hayden Park. Lights were installed before the 2006 season for the capability to have night games. In addition to baseball, Miami's softball team moved into its new $4.5 million home this season after the diamond was torn down and rebuilt.

During the summer of 2006, the field hockey team received $1.25 million to upgrade their field. After the complete overhaul, the field is now considered to be one of the finest field hockey facilities in the country.

So after all the money was spent, construction hours logged and new dedication ceremonies completed, three sports were left out.

Men's and women's basketball, as well as volleyball, still play in Millett Hall which hasn't had a major upgrade since its construction in 1968.

With the recent success of the Miami basketball team this year, and the team's overall solid play the past three years, isn't it time we get the 'Hawks a new home?

Behind hockey and football, men's basketball is the sport attended by the most students. And while you will always have those Miami faithful that would watch basketball outside in subzero temperatures, you need to entice the students to come cheer on the Mid-American Conference Tournament champions.

When you first walk into Millett Hall you don't feel like you've entered a basketball arena - that's problem No.1.

The big schools like Duke and North Carolina all have their own basketball arenas. But even smaller schools like Xavier and Ohio have an arena for basketball.

From the comments I received on the earlier column, that was the biggest problem. Millett is terrible for watching basketball games. Fans don't want to sit in a multi-purpose room to watch a Division I college basketball team.

There is something not right about watching a basketball game in the same place O.A.R. played the previous weekend and right after the game the court will be torn down for a magician, speaker or whatever.

Another problem with Millett Hall is its location. Unless you're living on Sycamore, Tallawanda or North quad, the odds of you trekking to Millett are slim. Look at Goggin and McKie Field; both are centered right on campus with easy access to students.

So what needs to be done?

I wish that was such an easy question. Basketball stadiums are expensive, and in a time where Miami is already spending millions and millions of dollars on other things, apparently Millett Hall wasn't on the top of the priority list.

The only solution I can offer is too late to help. I want to know if when the new Steve Cady Arena was being built, why did no one think to put a basketball court over it?

In many pro stadiums, the basketball stadium and ice hockey stadium are one-in-the-same. Chicago's United Center is home to both the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks.

What a great atmosphere that could have been, with both basketball and hockey banners flying in the rafters, and fans getting to be right on the court.

Would it be more work for the Goggin staff? Sure.

Would it increase the attendance at basketball games? Definitely.

Could it have been done? Yes.

The fact of the matter is, fans won't flock to basketball like they do for hockey until a new home for the RedHawks is built.

For now I can only plead to fans that Millett is the best we have right now. When next season starts make the long walk, record that new episode of Grey's Anatomy or whatever the hot topic show is come next November and come support the RedHawks.

It may be small, dark and not worthy to be called a basketball stadium but it's where our team plays - lets try and make the best out of a bad situation.