Audio euphoria at ASC

Ben Meinking, Columnist

The voice is one of the most interesting musical instruments used on stage. Picture for a second an auditorium. Let's make it empty except for one person: you. As you stand in the spotlights staring at the empty seats, you belt out the last song you heard on the radio. In the midst of your happiness, something doesn't sound right.

You look around and realize once again, you are alone. A cappella is a hard skill to master. It takes a good ear and a pleasant pair of lungs to reach and sustain clarity.

As you stand on stage, you hear footsteps. Turning around, you see your friends; those who have stood by you in countless practices, all for this moment. They help you create the audio euphoria that is harmonizing.

Then there is a beat that adds the glue to the masterpiece. Each part of this creation is by the vibrations of vocal chords.

This past Saturday, I was a member of the audience awaiting the performances of many stunning "a capella" groups. There was a collection of songs amongst the genres as each show was better than the last. Participating groups were Miami University's own The Treble Makers, Miami Misfitz, and Just Duet. The invitational also had some travelers amongst the crowd: The Naturals from Marquette University in Milwaukee, The WittMen Crew from Wittenberg University in Springfield, OH, and Freshly Brewed from Butler University in Indianapolis.

The concert was a show indeed. Each group brought uniqueness and did not disappoint with their song selections. There was even a Kanye West medley and a R. Kelly remix. Legit.

If you ever find yourself on stage with the spotlight blaring down on you as you stare into the empty seats, remember that it can be a lot more satisfying when the seats are filled. The Wilks Theater at the Armstrong Student Center housed the concert and the building looks as amazing as it sounds. The acoustics are set just right. At one point in the show, the microphones wanted to voice an opinion about how loud they can be by creating a loud malfunction in the speakers. Because of the room design, the groups carried on with their routine and the dynamics were anything but a blunder. Check out the next concert that falls upon your calendar. The shows are great, the people are awe-inspiring, and the voices couldn't connect any better.