ASG senators address off-campus concerns

Jennifer N. Stewart

Have you ever wondered who exactly off-campus senators are? Or even, what they do for Miami University students living off campus?

Student Body President Jonathan McNabb said the purpose of off-campus senators is to represent the student body not living in residence halls on campus.

Matthew Ciccone, secretary for off-campus affairs, said in previous years the focus of off-campus senators was mainly producing legislation.

In recent years, Ciccone said the ultimate goal is to establish a relationship between off-campus senators and their constituents.

"Off-campus senators are all about communication this year," Ciccone said.

Off-campus students will have someone to turn to if problems arise in the future by better establishing this relationship at the start of the year.

"(Off-campus senators) serve as a go-between by listening to concerns," said Sam Dolder, an off-campus senator.

Ciccone said there are 24 off-campus senators on Miami's campus. The area surrounding the university has been divided into seven districts with three senators per district. The district of Greek life has three of its own individual senators.

Ciccone said off-campus senators have usually served on Associated Student Government (ASG) for two years.

"I think the off-campus senator is the veteran senator," Ciccone said.

Ciccone said off-campus senators are an asset because of the experience they have with student government.

He also is concerned with knowing students' anxieties and said improvement is necessary.

"I know they really want to pump up communication this year," said Megan Donahue, an off-campus senator.

To learn more about the concerns of students living off-campus, senators take part in "walk-abouts," Ciccone said.

Walk-abouts occur three times a year and involve off-campus senators walking through their districts to meet their constituents and hand-deliver valuable information.

McNabb said the next walk-about will take place before Thanksgiving break.

"Not only can you hand out information, but you are engaging students," Ciccone said.

Besides caring for off-campus students' concerns, senators attend biweekly Oxford Tenants Organization (OTO) meetings.

According to the ASG Web site, "The secretary and OTO deal with a diverse assortment of issues, including landlord-tenant relations, House Signs Committee, the dissemination of information on city laws and safety information."

This year, Ciccone said ASG is establishing monthly off-campus forums where off-campus students will be encouraged to meet their senators and share their personal concerns.

Ciccone has also created a list-serv of Miami's commuters andoff-campus students.

Off-campus senators are available to help with any concerns, including landlord problems or cracks in the sidewalks.

"A big issue this year is off-campus parking," Donahue said.

McNabb said off-campus senators also want their constituents to be engaged.

"We try to have neighborhood get-togethers," McNabb said. "It works really well to meet people."