ASG presidents, vice presidents highlight platforms as election day nears

By Reis Thebault, James Steinbauer

Ticket

Joey Parizek for president; Matthew Kovesdy for vice president

Bios

Parizek: An accounting major and entrepreneurship minor from Dublin, Ohio. He is a club hockey player, active in Greek life and is an ASG off-campus senator. He said he wants to be student body president because, "I have had such an incredible positive experience at Miami and view this as a perfect opportunity to ensure that every student on campus does to."

Kovesdy: A kinesiology and health major, with a premedical co-major from Rocky River, Ohio. He is also a club hockey player, who is in a fraternity and is an ASG off-campus senator. He said he is a good vice president candidate because, "I bring great problem solving techniques along with a diligent work ethic to advance the current status of student life at Miami."

Platform

• They said they want to simplify the scholarship process by creating a centralized scholarship database.
  • The candidates said they want to make study abroad cheaper by creating a donation hub where alumni can donate their excess frequent flyer miles to students.
  • They said they want to improve dining by restructuring meal plans to be more attractive to off-campus students. They also plan to push for more healthy, organic food options.
Love & Honor to Them

"Love & Honor to us exemplifies the passion and pride we have for Miami and our commitment and obligation to leaving this campus the best it can possibly be after graduation."

Ticket

Kevin Krumpak for president; Amy Berg for vice president

Bios

Krumpack: A marketing and business analytics major from Youngstown, Ohio. He is a member of Chi Psi fraternity and Men's Glee Club. He also serves as ASG's secretary for off-campus affairs. He said he wants to be president because, "I have enjoyed my time serving students through my positions on ASG and want to continue improving Miami to create a better experience for current and future students."

Berg: A marketing major from Cincinnati, Ohio. She is a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority and Pi Sigma Epsilon business fraternity. She also serves as chief of staff for ASG. She said she is qualified for vice president because, "I can put student complaints into action so we can see a change on this campus based on what students need."

Platform

• Alcohol in the Stadium: Krumpak served on the Alcohol Task Force and co-authored a bill calling the university to investigate selling alcohol in the stadiums. The candidates said they believe this would allow students to drink responsibly while supporting Miami athletics.
  • Rec Center Expansion, Martin Dining Hall Renovation: The candidates said the Recreational Center is too small for the growing number of students trying to remain healthy. They said they want to continue this work in making sure the expansion of the Rec goes through. As Martin Dining Hall is renovated, the candidates said they want to make sure exercise equipment is placed in the basement of Martin to serve North Campus and off-campus students.
  • Peer Advising: The candidates said they plan to adopt a peer advising system that would begin when students arrive. They would be paired up with a junior with similar interests who would serve as resource to ask questions about classes, teachers, books, and scheduling.
Love & Honor to Them

"Love and Honor is something that you simply understand through your Miami experience. We believe it is your sense of pride in Miami and awareness of its deep-rooted history. Although everyone's Miami experience is differs Love and Honor is what connects you to past, present and future Miami students."

Ticket

Jacob Rosebrock for president; Ian Young for vice president

Bios

Rosebrock: A zoology major and management and leadership minor from Defiance, Ohio. He is a resident assistant in Hepburn Hall and a member of the Pre-Dental Club. He said he wants to become student body president to "create a more divers and inclusive environment on campus and create change that is beneficial for all."

Young: A physics and philosophy major from Crete, Illinois. He is the president of Wesley Campus Ministry and an alumnus of the Scholar Leader Program. As student body vice president, he said he would "continue developing an all-inclusive environment that gives every student a place where they can truly be at home."

Platform

• Culturally Inclusive Educational Environment: The candidates said they want to create an international community outreach program to pair with the global buddies program and refocus institutional cultural diversity endeavors.
  • Advising and Counseling Services: The candidates said they want to hire professional advisers and increase the number of counselors on campus.
  • Sorority Housing: The candidates said they want to give sororities the option for off-campus housing and the ability to expand and improve upon current sorority quad accommodations.
Love & Honor to Them

"Love and Honor is atemporal. It calls us to look back at the choices that have led us to this very day; it holds us in the present to marvel at the opportunities at our fingertips and the relationships we have crafted; and it drives us into the future with the expectation that the decisions we make be so done out of Love and Honor."

Ticket

Dan Stewart for president; Jessica Robinson for vice president

Bios

Stewart: A business economics major from Strongsville, Ohio. He is president of the student senate for ASG and an active member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. He said he wants to become student body president "to make sure that future Miami students have an experience here that is even greater than my own."

Robinson: A business management and leadership major from Bargersville, Indiana. She is a member of both Phi Mu sorority and Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity and previously acted as a student senator for ASG. If elected student body vice president, Robinson said she would work with ASG "to make Miami even better for current and future students by hearing more student concerns and finding solutions efficiently and effectively."

Platform

• Reducing Textbook Costs: The candidates said they want to work with the university and professors to encourage the use of open educational resources to push textbook costs down towards $0.
  • Rec Facilities: The candidates said they want to inspect possible locations to add additional recreation space.
  • Career Services: The candidates' goal is to help first-years and sophomores get a head start by giving more career service report to all majors. They want to use current resources and connections to collaborate across divisions and help every student get a job.
Love & Honor to Them

"There is no greater feeling for me than seeing an alum in a Miami t-shirt … Love and Honor strikes a chord with me and is something that no other school has. Love and Honor is ours, it's Miami, and we should all seek to live our four years on this campus in this way."

Ticket

Mark Cialone for president; Alex Dunlap for vice president

Bios

Cialone: A finance and entrepreneurship major from Upper Arlington, Ohio. He is the managing director of Redhawks Ventures, the former treasurer for Beta Theta Pi and a member of the Investment Banking Club. He said he wants to become student body president "to make a real and lasting impact at Miami. I want the opportunity to bring in a fresh perspective and change the status quo.

Dunlap: A political science major from Mundelein, Illinois. He has served as an off-campus student senator and is a varsity women's volleyball practice player. He said that he is a good choice for student body vice president because he feels "we need a completely new perspective if we are going to do anything meaningful and I believe that Mark and I have the potential to bring that new way of thinking to the table."

Platform

• Student Safety: The candidates said they want to redefine the disciplinary structure, largely concerning alcohol consumption, and make Miami promote safe behavior instead of acting like an extra set of parents for its students.
  • Student Engagement: The candidates said they want to focus on providing campus events that people actually want to participate in, in addition to, not instead of activities on High Street.
Love & Honor to Them

"Love and Honor is an exposition of pride in our Miami experiences and the eagerness to provide even greater opportunity to the generations of Miamians to come."