ASG introduces bill to freeze tuition, raises chief of staff salary

Kathleen Clyburn, For the Miami Student

The Associated Student Government (ASG) held a formal senate meeting last Tuesday in the Armstrong Student Center's Harry Wilks Theater. During the meeting, the Senate discussed the Resolution Supporting a Guaranteed Tuition Program and passed a bylaw amendment.

With the Resolution Supporting a Guaranteed Tuition Program, tuition will increase initially and will remain at this amount for all four years a student is enrolled, as opposed to increasing more and more each year.

According to senior President of the Student Senate Nick Miller, the university has the power to raise tuition up to 3 percent each year.

Schreiber said the bill will help students and families plan for exactly how much money they will need to pay in tuition every year without any surprises.

"The support for this bill has been high," Schreiber said. "Students are supporting a bill that won't even affect their time at Miami and I think that's really great."

Miller said with this guaranteed tuition program, there will be an opt-in or opt-out option.

"First year or transfer students can choose to opt in to the guaranteed tuition program in which their tuition will be increased a certain percentage and remain at this same amount for four years," he said.

President of the Student Body Charlie Schreiber and Vice President Courtney Bernard used this bill during their platform when they were running for president and vice president of the student body and they said they hope to see it passed.

"It's really heartbreaking when a student has to leave Miami because they can't afford the tuition," Schreiber said. "This program will hopefully ensure students can know what to expect when paying for school."

The bill was seen as old business and will be revisited at tonight's meeting for approval.

ASG then discussed The ASG Internal Capital Reform Bylaw Amendment authored by senior treasurer Nathan Lombardi.

This amendment would make several changes to the inner workings of ASG, including a raise in salary for the chief of staff position. It will raise the salary from $1,441 to $3,050.

According to Lombardi, salaries are set based on the amount of work each position does, and the chief of staff does as much work as the other secretary positions in the cabinet and deserves to be paid just as much.

"The role of chief of staff has evolved into something just as demanding as a secretary position with not as much pay," he said. "It has caused conflict in the past. Cabinet has suggested raising the salary of chief of staff."

This bill will also eliminate the director of technology position.

Junior senator Kevin Krumpak said he was against removing the director of technology position and ASG should have someone with an extensive knowledge in technology if a problem should arise.

"The university already provides the necessary technical resources that ASG would require so this position is not needed at this point," Lombardi said.

Other senators including sophomore Katie Caprez agreed the director of technology position was no longer vital to the organization.

Senate took a roll call vote and passed the bill 30-0.