ASG discusses I Am Miami and gives formal reports

Kathleen Clyburn, For The Miami Student

The Associated Student Government (ASG) met Tuesday to discuss the "I Am Miami" initiative and to hear formal reports from the cabinet.

Dean of Students Michael Curme spoke to the Senate about the "I Am Miami initiative." He said it is based off Miami's value statement.

"What 'I Am Miami' is all about is understanding the things that we value," Curme said. "And then demonstrating the leadership and integrity to help redirect other people that are about to engage in an activity that is inconsistent with Miami's values."

According to Curme, it is important to reach out to first-year students and send them this message of Miami's values early on.

"Let's capture students who are about to come on campus who don't know anything about the culture yet or what they do know about the culture is secondhand and we can filter it out," Curme said.

He then spoke of the ritual at this year's first-year convocation of students pinning each other with pins after reading Miami's value statement and code of honor. Students also flew planes to each other with handwritten quotes inside that Curme said really reflected Miami's values.

Several senators, including sophomore senator Katie Caprez, said this initiative should also be targeting upperclassmen.

"If you target juniors and seniors, it will create a trickle-down effect to the first-year students," Caprez said.

Curme agreed with this statement. He said upperclassmen should be aware of how they affect Miami's culture and to remember that they are a part of something bigger than themselves.

Senior Secretary for On-Campus Affairs Cole Tyman said he thought there should be more ways for residential advisors to incorporate the incentive into their jobs.

"Do you want these values instilled in future students?" Curme said. "Help us find a way to do so and we will help you in every way possible."

Next, the cabinet gave formal reports.

Senior Student Body President Charlie Schreiber spoke about the passing of the Good Samaritan bill that allows Miami students to seek medical attention without fear of reparation for underage drinking.

"This is such a huge accomplishment for the safety of our student body," Schreiber said. "This is a policy that saves lives. There have been over 20 reported Good Samaritan cases already this year. These are students who needed medical attention and could get it because the fear of calling and asking for help was alleviated.

Senior Student Body Vice President Courtney Bernard discussed legislation that does not support sending students arrested for alcohol violations to the Butler County prison.

"We've started networking with other universities to see where they stand and how they're disciplining students and how they're dealing with alcohol on their campus," Bernard said. "How they're promoting a safe environment as opposed to focusing on punishment and negative repercussions."

Senior President of the Student Senate Nick Miller also awarded first-year senator Nicole Anselmo with the Senator of the Month award to which she said, "I Am Miami."