ASG bans student trustee travel abroad

Victoria Slater, Senior Staff Writer

During the Associated Student Government (ASG) meeting Tuesday, ASG revisited the Non-Voting Students of the Board of Trustees Act, which mandates that the non-voting students of the Board of Trustees retain a presence in Oxford or at Miami's regional campuses excluding Luxembourg for the entirety of their two-year term and nomination period. If they choose to study abroad, they must resign.

The current non-voting student members, juniors Lot Kwarteng and Arianne Wilt attended the meeting, and said they vehemently disagree with the act presented. Both members attended the Inside Washington program during their term, and said that they were able to properly represent the Miami student body through means of technology, while adding different perspectives to the board gained from being abroad.

Kwarteng said the act impairs quality of the applicant pool for the two positions. The students who are the most qualified for the position, he said, are the ones that wish to study abroad.

"By telling a student that they can't go out and pursue their academic experiences, because they are tied to this position is a detriment," he said. "This is ruining the pool of students that is being brought in by passing this resolution. This is going to hinder quality students from applying for this position-the top students you want will go out and study abroad."

In response to Kwarteng, Senator senior Bria Stein said a student trustee must accept that not studying abroad is a sacrifice that goes in hand with the prestige of the position.

"It was brought up that with technology, student perspective can still be effective, but I don't think that that's true," Stein said. "Importance is placed on presence. Also, not going abroad is a sacrifice that a student Board of Trustees member will have to make in the future. That shows greater commitment and interest in that position."

After an hour of debate, the senate passed the Non-Voting Students of the Board of Trustees Act by a vote of 30 for two against and four abstentions. Thus, student trustee members must remain in Oxford or Miami's regional campuses, other than Luxembourg, throughout the duration of their two-year term, and nomination period, otherwise they may face forced resignation.

Subsequently, Vice President of Campus Activities EJ Corporan, Vice President of Student Organizations Michael Trivelli, and Campus Activities Council (CAC) Director of Finance Andrew Grinstein presented the revised CAC budget.

Trivelli said the CAC executives met with each board member to discuss spending. This yielded a much clearer and more organized budget, and did away with unnecessary spending. The improved budget highlights that the total projected spending this semester is $192,178, as opposed to $240,270 which was listed in the initial budget.

Additionally, Grinstein said the $39,008 rollover will be used for next year's First Year Opportunities and Homecoming week, which generally costs the organization over $50,000.

ASG approved the CAC budget by unanimous consent.

The meeting continued with the censuring of Senator junior Kristin Dupont, who according to Senator Pro Tempore senior Taylor Lewis, has accumulated 11 points due to consistent absence.

In addition, Student Body President John Stefanski, Secretary for Alumni Affairs Conor Nelson, Secretary for On-Campus Affairs Cole Tyman and Secretary for Diversity Affairs Jonathan Wheeler presented a Resolution Condemning Material Condoning Sexual Assault.

The legislation was introduced in response to the "Top Ten Ways to Get Away with Rape" flier that was posted in McBride Hall on the evening of October 8. The bill expresses that ASG denounces any material "condoning rape, sexual assault or violence."

ASG will vote on the resolution next week's meeting.

Miami University's registrar David Sauter and Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management Michael Kabbaz presented the 2013-2014 Academic Calendar.

Sauter said changes to the calendar will be observed in order to follow prescribed rules set forth by the Board of Regents. Such changes include a switch to a 14-week semester and the addition of the winter term from January 2-25, 2014. Sauter said the winter term will be similar to summer term, during which students can take advantage of internship and study abroad opportunities.

"Study aboard opportunities, brick and mortar classes, internships, independent studies will all occur during this winter term," he said. "Or maybe you could decide to stay at home and work, or sleep in a few extra weeks. It is an extra term of opportunities for you."

Sprint-like classes will also be offered throughout this term, determined by which courses professors are willing to teach and student interest.

Additionally, the university allocation of financial aid is also dependent upon the amount of student enrollment in winter term classes. Sauter further said federal pell grants and merit-based aid will not be distributed to students during this term.

ASG will vote upon the 2013-2014 Academic Calendar at next week's meeting.