ASG aims to increase student voter turnout

Amy Wachler

With only a few months remaining before the 2007 student body elections, executive council members from Associated Student Government (ASG) will implement a new voting initiative intended to strengthen student participation and voter turnout.

The plan is intended to increase the number of candidates who run for office and utilize more marketing tools to promote different campaigns.

According to ASG Executive Vice President Ben Lingeman, only a quarter of the student body voted in last years' elections, and three of the five executive positions were uncontested. He attributed this situation to a lack of emphasis put toward advertising, and more energy spent on monitoring the campaigns.

However, when there is a greater focus on encouraging people to run, there is generally greater motivation for people to vote, according to Lingeman.

"If we get candidates to run, they are campaigning not only for a vote, but for people to vote," Lingeman said.

ASG President Brian Alexander said that many of the factors that keep the general public from voting in local or national elections, such as a lack of interest or knowledge, prevent students from participating in elections.

Along with distributing flyers and banners around campus, the elections committee plans to publicize information about how to run for office by visiting residence halls and speaking to different student organizations.

Open campaigning begins Feb. 1, 2007, followed by primary elections Feb. 22. The general student body elections are scheduled for March 1.

Alexander said that current ASG executive members have recently begun handing out campaign packets to people they know are interested in running. He stressed that all students can help generate enthusiasm about next semester's elections, whether it is through becoming more informed about how to vote or run for office, or encouraging others to the same.

"I've already heard (that) many people are interested in positions," Alexander said. "I think we're on the right track."

Last year, Miami University's Information Technology (IT) Services made an attempt at making voting more accessible by posting an announcement on the MyMiami Web page on Blackboard, which allowed students to vote online. Rather than having to count individual paper ballots by hand, election officials were able to tally votes automatically and deliver faster, more accurate results.

The process was created to make voting more conducive to students' busy schedules and allow them to vote from anywhere on campus during the day of elections.

Still, many students are unaware of this online option, prompting elections committee members to initiate the new voting strategy as soon as possible.

"I didn't even know how to vote (last year)," said sophomore Katherine Schroeder.

Lingeman said these kinds of reactions about political and government elections translate to the real world, where less than half the general public votes. If more students run for office, their visibility around campus will increase, as will the probability of voter turnout. In addition, by speaking at various events on campus and bringing more attention to their campaigns, Lingeman said candidates could improve their communication and connections with students.

"I would love to see half of the undergraduate (student) body vote," Lingeman said. "This would be much higher than the general population of voters since we have the ability to know the candidates."

Petitions to run for office are due by 5 p.m., Jan. 16, 2007. Information packets can be picked up at 374 Shriver Center or online at www.muohio.edu/ASG.