Arts in review: The Wiz

Julia Munro, For The Miami Student

Yet another great success for Miami Theatre is ongoing as their spectacular production of The Wiz continues to run through this weekend. Colored by African American culture and peppered with a few extra twists, the acclaimed musical is based off the story ofThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Miami Theatre's production of The Wiz incorporated aspects of both the original Broadway show and the 1978 film that starred celebrities like Diana Ross and Michael Jackson. Under the choreographic direction of Chris Beiser, a Miami graduate, the entertaining dances look familiar: "Thriller"-esque moments are paralleled with traditional soft-shoe steps.

The ensemble of singers and dancers portrayed everything from golden brick roads, to storms, to The Supremes. The ensemble lit up the background of almost every number and helped the show transition, proving their vitality to the show's fluidity and success.

The Wiz featured powerful vocals from most every cast member. The show started with an impressive performance from Sha-Toree Crutchfield, playing Aunt Em. Though Glinda's role in The Wiz is greatly reduced from the original The Wizard of Oz, Anna Wenning managed to win the audiences' hearts with her beautiful serenade "Believe in Yourself."

The Wiz adds two show-stopping witches unseen in the original tale: Joclene Harper, playing Addaperle, sassily displayed her character's somewhat haphazard magical abilities throughout the performance. Alexandra Sedlak played the powerful Evillene, and commanded the both the stage and her minions in "No Bad News".

Just as in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy leads the show. With her soft-spoken demeanor yet powerful voice, Carli Wright performed the part excellently. Ryan Knapper portrayed Scarecrow with phenomenal physicality. From his floppy arms to his unexpected splits, Knapper's movements were a staple of the performance. Opposite the straw-stuffed Scarecrow was Robert Stimmel's portrayal of the Tinman. Stimmel's slick performance was equal parts strong vocals and talented dancing. Brian Cagnon enthusiastically portrayed the Lion. He shone in many entertaining moments and kept the audience roaring with laughter.

And what would Oz be without it's Wizard? Brendan Monte portrayed The Wiz and carried his role with charm and a Southern lilt. His energetic Elvis-esque character led the full cast in "Ya'll Got It", one of the best numbers of the show. Before flying off in a Southbound hot air balloon, Monte managed to sneak in the "Dougie" and the "Bernie", receiving clamorous approval from the audience.

The Wiz is a show that proves that life is not all about power, prestige, and money, but rather about brains, heart, courage, and just the right pair of shoes.

Miami Theatre's production of The Wiz continues is a must see and continues to run at the CPA April 14-16 at 8pm and April 17 at 2pm. Tickets are available at the Miami University box office. Call (513) 529-3200 or order online at www.tickets.muohio.edu. For more information on Miami Theatre, visit www.muohio.edu/theatre/.