Why students should get more involved in protests and activism on campus

<p>The protests follow demonstrations led by college students across the country urging their administrators to divest from companies with ties to Israel.</p>

The protests follow demonstrations led by college students across the country urging their administrators to divest from companies with ties to Israel.

The sight of someone holding an offensive sign in front of Armstrong or a large demonstration happening at the Seal becomes more popular every semester I spend on campus. While I may not agree with every person holding up a sign, the ability for people to make their voices heard is core to the ideals of this country and the mission of this university.

It is important to hear viewpoints that are different from your own. In today’s state of division, it is very easy to find your corner of the internet or surround yourself with friends who only serve to echo the same beliefs you already hold. Protests and activism on campus provide avenues for you to interact with people of different backgrounds and beliefs.

While last semester’s encampment in support of Palestine was not as large or as dramatic as the ones at The Ohio State University or Columbia University, it was still a controversial national conversation, and students made sure it was being addressed at a local level. Without individuals deciding that the issue was vital to address and take action on, the conversation would not be nearly as acute at Miami University.

The same can be said for the commemoration of the one-year anniversary of the Oct. 7 terrorist attack. Without several organizations coming together to plan an informative and action-oriented event aimed at returning hostages, the conversation would again not be at the top of people’s minds.

The core similarity between these two seemingly opposed actions is that they seek to inform and provide opportunities for people to ask questions and start conversations. In a world lacking good-faith conversations, organizations and students need to hit the street and start having them.

I am proud to have spoken in support of the Faculty Alliance of Miami (FAM) at the union’s rally for raises in September. They are fighting for their first contract with the university, and it is my core belief that if our faculty are not taken care of, they will not be able to give us the good education we deserve as students. With the increasing cost of living and political attacks on higher education, it is more urgent than ever for our faculty to be protected and supported by a fair contract.

Student activism will be key for FAM to succeed in getting its first fair contract with the university. Student activism helped FAM form a union in the first place, and if students decide that it is a necessary issue, they can play a crucial role in pressuring the Miami administration to play ball.

Students making their voices heard is also an integral part of the university experience. To quote Miami’s mission statement, “Our teacher-scholars and highly engaged staff inspire curiosity, intellectual depth, and career preparation across our communities through instruction, research, scholarship, experiential learning, co-curricular experiences, and civic engagement.” Miami is the perfect place for students to figure out how we can best make our voices heard.

Whether your special interest is protecting students from sexual and interpersonal violence, supporting the protection of human rights across the globe or a valuable local political issue that needs some more attention, there is more than enough room on this campus for every student to make their waves.

Go protest more, break yourself and others out of their bubbles and fight for what you believe in on campus. And, selfishly, if you see a Miami University College Democrats event or table, come strike up a conversation.

houlihpf@miamioh.edu 

Patrick Houlihan is a senior political science student. He is president of the College Democrats of Ohio and the Miami University College Democrats, and the Northwest Regional Chair of the Butler County Democratic Party.