Students for Justice in Palestine hold its ‘Week of Rage’ following anniversary of the first Hamas attack

Before the film screening Students for Justice in Palestine introduced themselves and gave a brief history of student protests.

The national Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) plans its 'Week of Rage' to commemorate the anniversary of Hamas’ Oct. 7 attacks.

A year ago, the Palestinian militant group Hamas fired missiles at Israeli towns, killing 1,200 and taking roughly 200 civilians hostage. In response, the Israeli Defense Force issued retaliatory airstrikes on Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

The day after the Hamas attack, Israel declared war on Hamas. Since then, more than 41,000 Palestinians have been killed, 1.9 million people have been displaced and 1,200 Israelis have been killed.

The ‘Week of Rage’ lasts from Oct. 7 - 11, with Miami University’s SJP chapter holding a week of events to mark what SJP calls “one year of genocide”.

On Monday, Oct. 7, SJP held a film screening of “In Defense of Solidarity: Palestine on Campus”. Roughly nine people attended the first event of four in Wilks Theater.

The film is a 50-minute documentary exploring the challenges and experiences of students and activists advocating for Palestinian rights on campuses. The documentary addresses the backlash these activists often face, including accusations of antisemitism and attempts to suppress free speech.

Maysa Constandinidis, a senior and lead chair of SJP, said this week is about spreading awareness, shining a light on what’s been happening in Palestine and mourning the lives lost.

“We have a lot of support,” Constandinidis said. “It’s just people are drained and burnt out and exhausted. So it’s very hard to continue your activism when you keep going on social media and seeing kids’ heads blown off and people losing their lives.”

Darek Sanabria Valderrama, a senior and the finance chair of SJP agreed with Constandinidis. They said this week is SJP’s way of reminding the campus that the conflict is ongoing and they believe conditions have gotten significantly worse.

“Our main goal is just putting out a lot more education about what's going on so that people aren't forgetting that we're still involved,” Sanabria Valderrama said, “and we, as in like us as United States citizens, have a role in this.”

Andy Brown, a senior double majoring in history and critical race and ethnic studies, said as a member, he’s attended several of SJP’s events in the past and is impressed with the courage Miami students have shown.

“Today marks the first year of Israel's intensified genocide on Gaza, and I think now more than ever, it's important to shout out for the causes that you believe in,” Brown said. “This has been nonstop on all of our news feeds since Oct. 7 of last year, some of us before then. And it’s just sickening. And I've had enough, so just doing anything I can to help.”

SJP’s event Tuesday, Oct. 8 explained what boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) are in “ABCs of BDS” from 6-8 p.m. in Shideler Hall.

On Wednesday, Oct. 9, SPJ will host a bake sale on Miami’s Slant Walk from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. with all proceeds going to the nonprofit Middle East Children's Alliance.

Thursday, Oct. 10 is the final event held in Upham 258 at 7 p.m., “The Children of Palestine,” meant to spread awareness about children’s experiences in Palestine, according to SJP’s Instagram.

stumbata@miamioh.edu