‘Shark Tank’ star Kevin O’Leary, ‘Mr. Wonderful,’ addresses packed audience during Anderson Distinguished Lecture series

<p>On Oct. 1, Shark Tank star Kevin O&#x27;Leary gave the Anderson Distinguished Lecture at Millett Hall</p>

On Oct. 1, Shark Tank star Kevin O'Leary gave the Anderson Distinguished Lecture at Millett Hall

On the evening of Oct. 1, students, faculty and community members gathered at Millett Hall to hear “Shark Tank” star and entrepreneur Kevin O’Leary’s lecture on the importance of diversification, the long-term effects of a global pandemic on business and how to be a successful leader.

After opening remarks from Jenny Darroch, dean of the Farmer School of Business (FSB), O’Leary came on stage following a brief introduction video to resounding applause from the audience as students enthusiastically took photos of “Mr. Wonderful” himself.

Following brief introductory remarks, O’Leary discussed the long-term effects of the pandemic on businesses, including the accelerated adoption of technology.

“If you were in your 60s or 70s, 80s or 90s back then, you didn’t use your cellphone for much … other than your grandkids calling you on Sunday,” O’Leary said. “By the end of 2020, if you didn’t know how to use your cellphone to order goods and services, you would starve to death. Hundreds of millions of people became glued to their phones. What occurred was the emergence of technology in a very rapid period of time.”

O’Leary then went on to discuss several success stories from “Shark Tank,” including Wicked Good Cupcakes and Blueland Cleaning Solutions and how these businesses embodied the essence of the American entrepreneurial spirit.

O’Leary concluded the lecture by identifying three keys to a successful pitch, and more broadly leadership: the ability to articulate a business opportunity in 90 seconds or less, to successfully lead and execute and to have a comprehensive understanding of a business model.

At the end of the lecture, O’Leary opened up the floor to audience questions, which was met with a rush to the “hot mic.”

Molly Forgach was one of the students in attendance and felt overwhelmed with feelings of admiration at Mr. Wonderful himself. 

“I came tonight because I’m a huge fan of Shark Tank, and I want a story to tell my parents,” Forgach said.

Bridget Denihan, a junior accounting major, said she felt compelled to attend because she was interested in what Kevin O’Leary had to say about the stock market.

After the lecture, O’Leary flew to New York to continue filming “Marty Supreme” with Timothee Chalemet.

reieram@miamioh.edu