Recap: Miami loses off 1 goal in first half against Eastern Michigan

Miami's defeat against the Eagles was decided in the first half. The RedHawks had three shots on goal but none of them found the net.

One point in the first half cost the Miami University RedHawks soccer team its third game of the season against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. The RedHawks sit at 5-3-4 (1-2-2 in Mid-American Conference (MAC) play). 

Fifth-year forward Taylor Hamlett had six of Miami’s shots, including one on goal. First-year forward Millie Cook and sophomore midfielder Morhéa Hoefen combined for three shots, with Hoefen having two more on goal. 

Eagles midfielder Tayla Maddock found the RedHawks’ net off a corner kick from sophomore defender Rosalie Takacsy in the 38th minute. Eastern Michigan held its 1-0 lead for the rest of the match. 

Twenty minutes into the second half, Hamlett had a chance to tie the game up. Her shot was on target but hit the post, keeping the RedHawks down. The whistle blew with the score unchanged. 

Sophomore forward Katie O’Malley was given a yellow card in the second half.

This loss marks the RedHawks’ second loss in conference play after their 6-0 defeat to Western Michigan on Sept. 22. Miami took a 1-0 win over the Kent State University Golden Flashes and tied 1-1 to the Bowling Green State University Falcons.

The RedHawks return to Oxford for a Thursday night game against the University of Akron Zips (5-5-2, 0-5-0 in MAC play). The Zips have slipped to a five-game losing streak, including a recent 3-1 loss against the Ohio University Bobcats. 

Senior midfielder Ella Hadley leads the Zips with two goals and one assist this season. First-year midfielder Allie McMillen has also contributed two goals. 

When the Zips last visited Miami, the RedHawks took a 2-0 lead in the second half to clinch the game. Senior midfielder Makenna Morrison had one of those goals. 

Gametime is set for 7 p.m. on Oct. 10 in Oxford at Bobby Kramig Field. 

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu