Recap: Miami head coach Chuck Martin ties for most wins with victory over Ohio

Raion Strader finished the day with one interception to contribute to Miami's 30-20 victory

Randy Walker stepped in as football head coach of the Miami University RedHawks in 1990. At the time, the RedHawks consistently posted losing records year after year. With Walker, Miami improved each year, with the RedHawks finishing 10-1 in his final season. Overall, Walker compiled a record of 59-35-5, earning the most wins of any Miami head coach.

With Saturday’s win over the Ohio University Bobcats, current head coach Chuck Martin earned his 59th win to tie Walker’s record. 

“It’s awesome,” Martin said. “Tied a record, let alone Randy Walker’s record, which I have so much respect [for].”

The 100th Battle of the Bricks started with Miami receiving first, but senior punter Alec Bevelhimer was brought out after the RedHawks failed to convert on third-and-10. The Bobcats punted after the RedHawks forced a third-and-1 stop. 

Sixth-year quarterback Brett Gabbert opened the next drive with a 32-yard pass to redshirt senior receiver Cade McDonald. The RedHawks fought to the 10-yard line, and redshirt junior kicker Dom Dzioban was brought out on fourth-and-2 for a 28-yard field goal. 

Dzioban’s kick brought Miami up 3-0 in the first quarter. 

Both teams traded possessions throughout the first half. Five minutes into the second quarter, redshirt sophomore receiver Kam Perry caught an 18-yard pass to put the RedHawks at the opposing 28. Two minutes later, Gabbert found junior receiver Reggie Virgil in the endzone for a 14-yard touchdown to put the RedHawks up 10-0. 

Photo by Jessica Monahan | The Miami Student
Reggie Virgil catching a touchdown pass in the second quarter against Ohio Bobcats

Graduate student quarterback Parker Navarro threw an interception on the Bobcats’ next drive to sophomore defensive back Raion Strader. Strader returned the pick to the opposing 43-yard line and put Miami’s offense back on the field with two minutes left in the first half. 

The RedHawks moved to the 8-yard line off a short pass to Javon Tracy. Gabbert found Tracy again for an endzone pass. They took a 16-0 lead to end the second quarter, but Dzioban’s extra point attempt was no-good.  

At the start of the third quarter, the Bobcats spent seven minutes moving toward the end zone. On second-and-1, graduate student running back Anthony Tyus III punched in to put Ohio on the scoreboard. The Bobcats failed their two-point conversion, keeping them down 16-6 halfway through the third quarter. 

After trading possessions, senior running back Keyon Mozee broke free for a 58-yard touchdown run to boost Miami to 23-6 with two minutes left in the third quarter. 

“I was waiting for our o-line to climb up, and once [they] did, I hit it, and it was one-on-one with the safety,” Mozee said. “I had to make him miss, and once I made him miss, I knew it was all up from there. Only thing was not to get caught this time.”

Sixth-year linebacker Matt Salopek earned his second interception of the season to get the RedHawks the ball on the 28-yard line. Gabbert found McDonald on the right side of the field for a 28-yard touchdown. 

Dzioban’s extra point brought Miami up 30-6 to close out the third quarter. 

The Bobcats spent four minutes driving to the end zone. Redshirt junior running back Nolan McCormick ended the drive and added six to the Bobcats’ score. A successful two-point conversion brought the game within two scores, 30-14. 

Despite this, the RedHawks held Ohio to 14. Miami took the victory 30-14. 

The running backs posted their best performance of the season with 150 combined yards and one touchdown. Mozee led the way with 111 yards and the touchdown. 

Gabbert threw for 178 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions. He targeted McDonald five times for 84 yards and one touchdown. Virgil earned three receptions for 39 yards and one touchdown, while Tracy followed with three receptions for 24 yards and one touchdown.

This two-game winning streak pushes Miami to sixth in the Mid-American Conference (MAC). Momentum and team morale play a huge part in the RedHawks’ success, and these wins have been great in that department. 

“It’s been really big,” Mozee said. “Once we fix our mindset, then everything else will follow along with it. We [need] to go out there and have that mindset that we’re going to win.”

The RedHawks play at Yager next weekend against the Central Michigan University Chippewas. 

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu