Recap: Miami football bounces back with first conference win against Eastern Michigan

The RedHawks' offense finished with 421 total yards, with Gabbert throwing for 222 yards and four touchdowns with zero interceptions

The Miami University RedHawks (2-4, 1-1 in conference play) responded from last week’s defeat to the University of Toledo Rockets with a dominating victory over the Eastern Michigan University Eagles (4-2, 1-1 in conference play). 

Sixth-year quarterback Brett Gabbert started the game hot on the RedHawks’ opening drive. On the first play, Gabbert found junior receiver Reggie Virgil deep in opposing territory for a 75-yard touchdown. This was Virgil’s second touchdown of the season. 

Redshirt junior kicker Dom Dzioban was brought out for the extra point, giving Miami a 7-0 lead just 10 seconds into the first quarter.

“We wanted to come out, take a shot and test their DBs early,” Gabbert said. “We got the look we wanted. I saw [Reggie] wide open streaking down on the post, and I did my job, threw it to him in stride, and he finished the rest of the play.”

The Eagles marched down the field on their next drive. Senior quarterback Cole Snyder rushed for 23 yards and threw for 24 to get them to the 1-yard line. A final push from Snyder got the Eagles into the endzone, and senior kicker Jesús Gomez evened the score 7-7. 

Miami gave up the ball after Gabbert’s rush on third-and-16 fell short. The Eagles punted, but the return was fumbled by redshirt senior receiver Cade McDonald, giving Eastern Michigan the ball back at the opposing 49. 

Redshirt junior linebacker Corban Hondru ended the Eagles’ drive with a tackle on Snyder out of the pocket, forcing a fourth-and-14. 

At the start of the second quarter, sixth-year linebacker Matt Salopek forced a fumble on senior running back Delbert Mimms III. Redshirt junior defensive back Silas Walters recovered the fumble, giving Miami the ball at its 41-yard line.

Gabbert found redshirt sophomore receiver Javon Tracy for a 22-yard throw to put the RedHawks within 8 yards of the endzone. On second-and-5, Gabbert threw to redshirt junior tight-end Connor Briggs for a wide-open touchdown, putting Miami up 14-7. 

Photo by Kasey Turman | The Miami Student
Matt Salopek (No. 15) finished Saturday's game with two turnovers, including a forced fumble and an interception, to contribute to Miami's 38-14 victory

The teams traded possessions several times throughout the second quarter. With under three minutes in the half, Snyder threw his first interception of the season to Salopek, giving Miami the ball at the 34-yard line. 

Three plays later, Virgil caught a 19-yard pass in the endzone. Senior defensive backs Quentavius Scandrett and Tyrelle Deener collided with Virgil after the catch, knocking his helmet off and putting him on the sidelines. 

Virgil walked off the hit and sat out the rest of the day. After the game, head coach Chuck Martin claimed he was okay throughout the second half.

“He’s doing okay,” Martin said. “He was very aware [during] the second half. He’s talking, he’s helping the guys, so he’s not in terrible shape.”

The Eagles drove to the 19-yard line before the half and sent Gomez out for a 37-yard field goal attempt, but the kick was no good, ending the half with Miami up 21-7. 

Going into halftime, the RedHawks knew they had to keep their momentum and not slip up like they have in the past.

“We knew what we had to do,” Salopek said. “We made a few adjustments, looked at some stuff and kind of cleaned up. We knew we had to get stops and get the ball back to our offense so they could put up points.”

Eastern Michigan began the third quarter with a seven-minute drive. A 19-yard pass to junior receiver Oran Singleton on third-and-4 brought the Eagles to the 13. Miami held Mimms on fourth-and-2 for a turnover on downs at its own 5-yard line.  

After a change of possessions, the Eagles found themselves at the goal line once again. Mimms rushed for 1 yard to close the gap to one score, 21-14, with three minutes left in the third quarter. 

Gabbert threw for 30 yards to redshirt sophomore receiver Kam Perry to open their next drive. At the start of the fourth quarter, he found redshirt first-year receiver Cole Weaver for a 24-yard touchdown to take a two-score advantage 28-14. 

Both teams punted, and the RedHawks found themselves at the 26 on fourth-and-4. Dzioban was brought out for his first field goal attempt of the game, bringing the score to 31-14 with five minutes remaining.

Just for good measure, redshirt junior running back Jordan Brunson rushed for a 44-yard touchdown with less than two minutes in the game. The RedHawks kept their lead for the remaining minutes and claimed their 38-14 victory. 

Gabbert ended the game with 222 passing yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions, his best performance of the season. He targeted seven different receivers, with Virgil taking 113 yards and two touchdowns on his three receptions. 

“At the end of the day, that’s my job,” Gabbert said. “My job is to get the football to our skill players in open space, and we were able to do that today.”

Miami returns to Oxford next week for the annual Battle of the Bricks contest against the Ohio University Bobcats (3-2, 1-0 in conference play).  

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu