Preview: Miami hockey plays Alaska Anchorage in home-opening series

Max Dukovac skates against Arizona State University at home in the 2023-24 season

Following the inaugural weekend of the 2024-25 college hockey season that saw the Miami University RedHawks tie twice with the Ferris State University Bulldogs, they returned to Oxford for their home opening series against the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves.

This weekend is the first time these programs have squared off in almost 40 years. It will be the first time they face off at Goggin Ice Center. The Seawolves are undefeated in the series with a 3-0-0 record, all of which happened in the 1986-87 season.

There were plenty of takeaways from the RedHawks’ first weekend of play in the Anthony Noreen era, with the most noticeable being the team’s improvement from game one to game two.

“Friday night, we weren't at our best,” Noreen said. “We were nowhere near it. I think it was self-inflicted. It was a bunch of major mistakes, breakdowns, structure, individuals maybe not being at the caliber they could be. But having said that, I thought Saturday was a night and day difference.”

Miami defenseman Connor Hutchison, a senior who transferred to Oxford from Sacred Heart University, shared the sentiment.

“I thought we played well both nights,” Hutchison said. "I think we played better Saturday than we did Friday, but just a couple of bad bounces, a couple of guys getting behind us, and a couple of bad goals against, but I think we'll clean it up and be better this weekend.”

The RedHawks lost a significant contributor for most of their two games against the Bulldogs. Junior forward Johnny Waldron exited the Friday game after a high hit by 6-foot-4-inches, 220-pound Ferris State forward Tyler Schleppe early in the second period.

Waldron was wearing a non-contact jersey in practice this week, but at Friday morning skate he was wearing a regular practice jersey, signaling he could be good to go for this weekend’s contests.

“Johnny's an important player for us,” Noreen said. “He's an important player on the ice for us, and he's an important player in our locker room and on our bench. Our hope is that he’s a full go for the weekend.”

The Seawolves come in off their home opening weekend against the No. 1-ranked Denver University Pioneers, one of Miami’s National Collegiate Hockey Conference foes. 

Both games ended in losses for Alaska Anchorage. The first night saw the Seawolves only register 12 shots in a 6-2 loss. The second contest ended with the visitors claiming a 4-1 win but allowing 25 shots and relying on goaltending for help.

“[Alaska Anchorage was] big, physical, and we felt like they were really structured,” Noreen said. “They did a really good job defending as groups of five and really organized. It's going to be similar to Ferris where you're going to see that bigger, older [and] stronger team that is not going to give you anything for free.”

Sophomore Joey Potter and first-year Ryan Johnson are the only two Seawolves with multiple points. Potter recorded a goal and assist against the Pioneers, while Johnson’s two tallies came in the assist column. 

No matter the outside noise about a program or the opponent, there’s always a feeling of general anticipation for a home-opening series, whether it be for the players or fans. But for the team, the key is staying grounded and building upon a strong first weekend of play.

As for Noreen, it’s the first game he will be announced as the Miami University hockey head coach in Steve “Coach” Cady Arena, an opportunity he's continuously grateful for.

“You don't get to this point without a lot of people having sacrificed,” Noreen said. “There's a lot of people who have helped me get this opportunity and paved the way. That stuff matters. It means a lot. I'd be lying if I didn't say I felt some emotion toward it. Having said that, once that puck drops, you're in coaching mode.”

The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 11 and Saturday, Oct. 12.

@jjmid04

middleje@miamioh.edu