Preview: Miami football hosts Bobcats for 100th Battle of the Bricks

Brian Ugwu (No. 8) and Matt Salopek (No. 15) on the field against Cincinnati on Sept. 14

After playing on the road for two weeks, the Miami University RedHawks football team (2-4, 1-1 in Mid-American Conference (MAC) play) return to Oxford for the annual Battle of the Bricks rivalry against the Ohio University Bobcats (4-2, 2-0 in MAC play) for Miami’s Family Weekend. 

The RedHawks rebounded last week with a 38-14 victory over the Eastern Michigan University Eagles (4-2, 1-1 in MAC play). Sixth-year quarterback Brett Gabbert threw his best game with 222 passing yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions. 

The running backs got involved for their best game so far, combining for 199 yards. Senior Keyon Mozee led with 100 yards, and redshirt junior Jordan Brunson contributed 65 yards and one touchdown. 

Junior receiver Reggie Virgil led the game in the air with 113 yards for two touchdowns, his best single-game stats in 2024. Redshirt first-year Cole Weaver caught a 24-yard touchdown on his first reception as a RedHawk. 

Last week’s win pushed the RedHawks to seventh in the MAC, one spot ahead of the Eagles. 

Week 3 of MACtion saw several unexpected shifts. The University of Toledo Rockets (4-2, 1-1 in MAC play) fell to the University of Buffalo Bulls (4-2, 2-0 in MAC play). The Rockets slid to fifth in the conference.

The Bobcats fought a close match against the Central Michigan University Chippewas (3-3, 1-1 in MAC play). They took a 24-0 lead going into the second half, but the Chippewas rallied for 25 points while letting up one field goal. Those three points for Ohio sealed its victory 27-25.

Graduate student quarterback Parker Navarro threw for 147 yards and one touchdown. He had 13 completions on 22 attempts for his lowest completion percentage of the season (59.1%).

Navarro rushed for 176 yards and one touchdown, leading the Bobcats’ run game. Graduate student running back Anthony Tyus III followed with 95 yards, and first-year Duncan Brune had 12 yards and one touchdown. 

Graduate student receiver Coleman Owen finished with 48 yards and had the Bobcats’ only receiving touchdown. 

Despite the high score differential in the third quarter, the Bobcats nearly gave up the victory. Their defense allowed Central Michigan to throw for 131 yards and rush for 161 yards with three touchdowns. 

This year’s Battle of the Bricks returns to Yager Stadium after last year’s road matchup. Miami traveled to Ohio one week after losing Gabbert for the season. Despite this, the RedHawks emerged victorious with a 30-16 win. 

Senior running back Kevin Davis had 61 receiving yards, including a 46-yard touchdown pass from backup quarterback Aveon Smith. 

Defensively, sixth-year linebacker Matt Salopek led the day with 14 tackles. Redshirt senior defensive lineman Brian Ugwu finished with five tackles, one sack and a forced fumble. 

Historically, Miami holds the advantage with a 55-42-2 record against the Bobcats. With the momentum back their way, and with the Bobcats nearly slipping last week, the RedHawks can continue their winning streak in the 100th Battle of the Bricks. 

Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu