Media politics are overwhelming; here’s how to get past it

Sometimes watching the news feels like watching reality TV. Each channel has its own analysis of every breath taken by Vice President Kamala Harris or former President Donald Trump. In a personality-driven election year, where feelings and rhetoric are often discussed more than policy, it’s very easy to get overwhelmed with – and exhausted by – the idea of political action.

To make matters worse, social media often bombards us with every horrible event happening all over the world. Many of these crises are things that we can’t change on our own. It’s easy to feel powerless, and very tempting to give up caring at all. 

The solution to this feeling of dread and hopelessness that we feel is to get involved locally.

Politics is so much more than the actions of two national candidates or the awful things happening in distant countries. We are all directly affected by politics every day; the taxes you pay, the cities you live in and the school you go to are all affected by who and what you vote for. 

The things that impact you the most directly, like zoning laws and tax levies, are controlled by the governments closest to you: your city council and your statehouse. These are institutions that we, as individuals, can significantly impact with our voice and our vote.

My favorite way to get involved locally is going to on-campus political clubs, like the College Democrats and canvassing door-to-door for local candidates. In a world of political turmoil and seemingly endless bad news, talking to people in my community, discussing what really needs to be done and taking action to create positive change is almost therapeutic. On this local scale, I can see the impact of my work. I get to know the people who I have convinced to vote this November. I see people beginning to support the candidates I believe in. Knowing that I can change the political landscape, even if just by one vote, makes everything feel a little less hopeless. 

A trip to the city council or school board meetings can also be surprisingly fun. Admittedly, there are often drawn-out discussions about obscure zoning issues, so be prepared to bring something to do in the downtime. However, from time to time there will be an exciting new project proposed or an ordinance passed. 

Learning about, and possibly having a say in, how these proposals are passed and how they will impact people in your community can rekindle the excitement in politics. Seeing your voice creating tangible change is easier on the local level.

If you’re looking to get further involved, you can join a local political organization, canvas for a local campaign, help circulate petitions for ballot initiatives, protest and call your congresspeople. 

It can be overwhelming to read national news, so focus on local papers, like The Miami Student or the Miami Political Review, and learn about the issues that impact me closest to home. Talk to your friends and family about what’s going on in your community and how you want it to change. Most importantly, vote! Make sure your friends and family vote!

When you get your ballot on election day, vote past the presidential race. Make sure you know who is running in your state and local elections, what referendums you’ll be voting on and use your voice to impact your community.

sullivei@miamioh.edu

Eliza Sullivan is a first year double majoring in diplomacy and global politics and Russian, Eastern European, and Eurasian studies. She writes for the opinion section of The Miami Student. She is also involved with model Arab league and plays in the Miami steel band.