‘My Hero Academia: You’re Next’ goes beyond, plus ultra

Staff writer Josie Zimmerman was pleased with "My Hero Academia: You're Next."

This article contains spoilers for “My Hero Academia: You’re Next.”

“My Hero Academia: You’re Next” premiered in theaters on Oct. 11. Fans have anticipated this movie for the last few months after the trailer was released.

It is the fourth installment of the “My Hero Academia” (MHA) movies, all occurring between different seasons of the anime series. “MHA: You’re Next” is set between seasons six and seven of the show. Viewers don’t have to watch the previous seasons and films to enjoy the movie, but for those invested in “MHA,” be on the lookout for a post-credit scene.

This film remains consistent in the themes of heroism, growth, identity, and legacy that the anime has explored up until this film.

As someone who has followed along with “MHA” lore, it resonates with me to see how Class-1A has developed as heroes and people. Izuku Midoriya, also known as Deku, adjusts to his inherited “quirks” from one-for-all, Bakugo is a team player and Shoto is stronger in his dual abilities with fire and ice.

The plot entails Class-1A going up against Dark Might, an evil impersonator of All Might, a superhero who they look up to. Dark Might and his mafia family kidnap Ana, a girl with a quirk that can either enhance someone’s power or weaken them. Her butler Giulio is out to assassinate her to fulfill a promise he made years ago.

The movie does a good job of fleshing out Giulio and Ana’s backstory. Giulio’s flashbacks explain that his quirk is neutralization, and as her servant, he used his power to calm down her quirk.

But his right arm was the source of his ability, and when it was removed from his body, he believed he could no longer help her live a normal life. Ana made him promise to kill her if her powers became too much to handle.

However, Deku is determined to convince Giulio that he doesn’t have to save her. If there’s a way around killing, young Midoriya is determined to take it and make Julio smile again.

Smiling through the battle, even when things are difficult, is a prominent trait that has been upheld throughout the anime. My favorite scene was seeing Giulio smile again after saving Ana. It came full circle from earlier in the movie when Giulio told Deku he would smile again once she was safe.

Dark Might is a treat to watch on screen. I was wondering how he came to wear All Might’s face, and his backstory made sense. His quirk, alchemy, allows him to transmute the matter of anything he touches. When Class 1-A first saw him, they immediately thought it looked like him — but they weren’t easily fooled due to his actions.

One of the things I was unsure of was whether or not we should’ve seen All Might and Dark Might face-to-face. I understand why they didn’t take this angle since All Might is out of power, but it would’ve been cool to see All Might confront his doppelganger.

Much like the prequels, there were moments when the students in Class 1-A got to shine, but Deku, Bakugo, and Shoto were the main focus. I would’ve liked to see some of my other favorites a bit more, such as Ochaco Uraraka and Froppy, but I was happy to see them nonetheless.

The pacing of the movie took creative liberties, but not without sticking to the mission. In some ways, it feels like fan fiction, which makes a lot of sense for a film that can function independently of the show.

Overall, I would say “MHA: You’re Next” is a worthwhile watch for fans and newcomers alike. People who watch the series will enjoy seeing their favorite characters on the big screen, and newcomers will enjoy their introduction to Deku, Bakugo, and the rest of Class 1-A.

Rating: 10/10

zimmer82@miamioh.edu