Kate McKinnon releases debut novel that’s funny, chaotic and 100% McKinnon

<p>&quot;Saturday Night Live&quot; alumna Kate McKinnon published her debut book on Oct. 1.</p>

"Saturday Night Live" alumna Kate McKinnon published her debut book on Oct. 1.

Kate McKinnon first became a household name for her work on “Saturday Night Live” back in 2012. Now, with the release of “The Millicent Quibb School of Etiquette for Young Ladies of Mad Science,” the beloved comedian and actor has added another title to her resume: author of middle-grade literature.

As McKinnon explained in many interviews leading up to the release of her book, middle-grade isn’t a title linked to the quality of literature. Rather, it correlates to the age group of the target audience, which is children aged 8-12.

Despite being geared toward a younger audience, the book can resonate with readers of all ages. Set in 1911 in a strict town with firm expectations for its residents, three young girls differ from the community standards in Antiquarium and get kicked out of every etiquette school they are enrolled in.

The Porch sisters, named Gertrude, Eugenia and Dee-Dee, none of whom are actually related, then receive an invitation to a new etiquette school, run by Marjory Questions, also known as the infamous Millicent Quibb, a sort of legend in Antiquarium.

Having been threatened to be sent off to Austria by their Aunt Desdemona and Uncle Ansel as a form of punishment for once again getting kicked out of another etiquette school, the sisters convince their guardians to let them attend this etiquette school instead. Upon arrival, they realize that this isn’t any normal etiquette school. Rather, it’s a new school for mad science.

At the school, the sisters are faced with chaotic situations and forced to battle difficult, mysterious creatures to save Antiquarium. It’s fun, super-charged and pure McKinnon.

McKinnon described the book as what she would have wanted to read as a kid who was always fascinated by science and didn’t necessarily fit in. The love McKinnon has for her characters really shows within the book.

She first began working on “Millicent Quibb” before she joined the cast of “Saturday Night Live,” devoting her weeks off to working on her book, later pushing herself to finish it after her departure from the show in 2022.

The story is broken up by various interludes and fourth-wall breaks, such as McKinnon telling the reader to take a short break, or stating that certain details go beyond the scope of the book. It is one of the many different things that makes this book stand out from others within the genre.

In addition to the print book, McKinnon released an audiobook narrated by her and her sister, Emily Lynne. In listening to the audiobook, it is clear how much love the sisters have for each other and the story itself.

McKinnon and Lynne voice every character in the book, using a variety of fun, unique voices to bring life to the different characters. It adds a whole new level of dimension to the story. The audiobook also comes with an attached PDF, including important illustrations that the book would not be complete without.

The book features illustrations from Alfredo Cáceres, providing the visuals for the characters, settings and different mysterious creatures the sisters and Millicent must battle on their journey.

The book is funny, witty and nothing short of fantastic. Being familiar with McKinnon’s other work, reading it feels like embarking on a chaotic and colorful adventure through McKinnon’s brain, filled with jokes and mysteries all along the way.

Rating: 10/10

powers40@miamioh.edu