Staff editorial: We must start trusting in the integrity of journalism again

In a time of rising distrust in news media, it is important to establish trust. While politicization, the growing role of social media and the increase in misinformation spreading around the internet has damaged the reputation of news outlets, it is important to remember what journalism should, and in most cases still does, stand for.

Journalism is not glamorous, and those who become journalists know that. Journalism is about asking the hard questions and writing the stories that people need to hear. We get into journalism not because we want to control the conversation, but because we want the conversation to be fair.

No matter how many media outlets try to change it, the true heart of journalism is in the facts. If a story is not rooted in facts, then it is not journalism. It is merely speculation. And journalists do a lot to ensure the facts are told. It starts with journalistic integrity.

Journalists should not take shortcuts. At The Miami Student, a story must have multiple sources that confirm the truth in what we are saying. Not only does this ensure the people of our community help tell the stories, but it also ensures we are cross-checking our facts before we publish something.

We painstakingly ensure we have the right names, titles, sources and the relevant information needed to make a complete story. Stories are not just thrown together, they are the result of a process that requires time and dedication. We take the time to get multiple perspectives. We want to hear from students, professors, administration, Oxford residents and even experts from afar, often with multiple in the same article.

At the end of the day, it is not “our” story; it is yours, we are just here to tell it. We act as the carrier, not as the creator.

However, that hits a nerve for some: choosing what gets covered. Our former editor-in-chief and the current editor-in-chief of the Oxford Free Press, Sean Scott, wrote a piece last year about how stories get chosen. Not everything can get covered, and that’s not because we have an agenda; it’s because we’re human.

Every person in the newsroom, which consists of nearly 20 editors and dozens of writers, comes from a different background. We all have preconceived notions of what makes something worthy of reporting on and publishing. By combining all of these different perspectives and voices, it allows us to address a wide range of issues for potential stories. But stuff can still slip through the cracks.

It is not because we don’t want to cover it, it’s because we don’t have the numbers, the time or information needed to ensure the story is the whole truth. We would rather publish nothing than something not representative of our hard work.

It is popular rhetoric for people to claim “fake news” or point to stories that have been proven false to justify distrust against media organizations. However, a 2018 study by the MIT Media Lab showed that false information spreads 70% faster than real news. The problem is not that more stories are being written falsely, it’s that the false stories that do pop up get around quickly.

However, it would be naive of us to assume that all media outlets operate this way. There are those out there who purposefully spew false information. Sometimes it is up to the reader to sift through these to determine if a story is genuine. We encourage you to follow the steps we do.

Cross-check information and find multiple sources. Take note of the voices in the story: Are they diverse and relevant? Think about why the story was published. What is the author trying to get you to feel or think?

We also encourage you to take trust in local news. While there are reliable national outlets, those trying to spread misinformation often try to do it on a larger scale. That doesn’t happen here in Oxford, or at The Miami Student. Local news is unquestionably needed around the country, and re-establishing trust is vital.

We hope to continue gaining and establishing trust with you, our reader. We are always open to story tips and guest columns, and we want to interview as many voices as we can. Journalists get into this business because we love telling stories, and we love learning about the people and places around us.

With a tumultuous few months ahead for our country, we hope to affirm your belief in the integrity of journalism. Read local news, take the time to find reliable sources and remember: most journalists are not here to skew reality, we are here to speak the facts. We are here to tell your story.

The Miami Student’s editorial board is made up of Editor-in-Chief Kasey Turman, Managing Editor Olivia Patel and Opinion Editor Sam Norton, and reflects their beliefs. The contents of this staff editorial do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of the entire editorial staff.