In the editor’s rotation: Gigi Perez, Cher, Outkast and more

Here's what's in culture editor Chloe Southard's weekly rotation.

Hello, and welcome to the first installment of weekly playlists by yours truly.

This idea was presented to me by The Student’s lovely editor-in-chief, Kasey Turman. As soon as he mentioned the word “playlist,” I was in on it — I’ll make a playlist at any opportunity I get.

These weekly mixes will include what’s in my current rotation. I like to think I have a pretty diverse taste in music, so there should be something for everyone.

‘Sailor Song’ — Gigi Perez

Since I first heard this song two days ago, it’s been on loop. I’m not kidding — I’ve played it well over 20 times at this point.

It’s the perfect indie love song. It feels like something you’d see in a movie, and before any producers try to put it into a film, listen closely: it’s about a lesbian romance, so therefore, it must be used in a sapphic film. I will lose my head if this song gets appropriated by straight people.

‘Dark Lady’ — Cher

Thanks to my mother, I’ve been a longtime fan of Cher. For some reason, this track fell into the back of my mind until recently.

It’s been stuck in my head for the past week. I have to listen to it at least once a day to scratch the itch I’ve developed for it. Not to mention, it’s quite fitting for the Halloween season.

‘Unhappy’ — Outkast

I told you my music taste is all over the place. Again, thanks to my mom, I have been a fan of Outkast since third grade.

This is one of the duo’s criminally underrated tracks off my favorite record by Outkast, “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.” If you’re at all familiar with Outkast, I beg you to give this one a listen.

‘forwards beckon rebound’ — Adrianne Lenker

This song has been a vital staple in my fall soundtrack. Yes, I know it’s become overtaken by TikTok, and no, I don’t care. Lenker’s voice is so whimsical and comforting.

This song feels like a cozy autumn evening surrounded by candles while you’re deep in contemplation.

‘There’d Better Be A Mirrorball’ and ‘No. 1 Party Anthem’ — Arctic Monkeys

I couldn’t pick between these two songs, as I’m equally obsessed with both at the moment. 

Thanks to encouragement from a friend, I’ve recently delved deeper into Arctic Monkeys’ discography, and I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to do so. So far, these two are my favorites.

‘Cecilia’ — Simon & Garfunkel

This catchy track has been consistent on my morning walks to class. It just feels like the kind of song you should start your day with, lyrics aside.

This summer, I was enamored with music from the ’60s — probably from watching “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood” one too many times. This song has since wormed its way back into my rotation.

‘Heaven Is a Bedroom’ — TV Girl

I feel like there’s always one TV Girl song that I have on repeat. This time around, it’s “Heaven Is a Bedroom,” and for good reason.

The instrumentals are unique and snappy, much like most of TV Girl’s music. Paired with rather cynical lyrics, it fits the band’s brand perfectly.

‘Banana Clip’ — Miguel

Miguel has one of the most beautiful voices that has ever graced my ears. Another recommendation from a friend, this track is danceable and overall feel-good.

It feels like something you’d listen to in the summer, but that hasn’t kept it out of my rotation.

‘Second Nature’ — Clairo

I was late to the release of Clairo’s third album, “Charm,” on which this track appears. I’ve only recently given it a listen, and this sweet, little love song instantly became a stand-out track.

‘Ride’ — Sir Mix-a-Lot

Am I proud to call myself a Sir Mix-a-Lot listener? Not particularly. But I cannot seem to tear myself away from this song.

It even infiltrated the TMS newsroom, to which some of my colleagues could not tell whether it was a pick from Humor Editor Teddy Johnson or myself. I can’t tell you if that’s a good or bad thing.

@_chloebowie_

southacr@miamioh.edu