Commissioner Don Dixon denies request for public debate

Vice-Mayor Chantel Raghu held a press conference on Oct. 11 to discuss the missed debate opportunity with Butler County Commissioner Don Dixon.

With the November election less than a month away, Vice-Mayor and Butler County Commissioner candidate Chantel Raghu called on incumbent Commissioner Don Dixon for a public debate in the first contested race in more than 17 years.

Both are running for one of two open seats for Butler County Commissioner in the Nov. 5 election.

According to Raghu’s press release, she accepted the debate invitation, but Commissioner Dixon refused. The debate, originally scheduled for Oct. 10, would have been hosted by the Hamilton Young Women’s Christian Association and the Miami University Menard Family Center for Democracy.

There is currently no other debate forum planned ahead of the Nov. 5 election.

“We, myself and the voters of Butler County are calling on Commissioner Dixon to debate me so that the residents have the ability to compare the candidates,” Raghu said during her press conference on Oct. 11. “Dixon has not had opposition for this seat in almost 20 years, and it worries me that he is unable to defend himself and his voting history.”

Dixon did not respond when The Miami Student reached out for comment in time for publication.

Raghu has extended an open invitation to Dixon for a debate at a time and place of his choosing, according to the press release.

stumbata@miamoh.edu