City council approves new tobacco licensing regulations and playgrounds

<p>City council approves new tobacco licensing regulations at its Oct. 15 meeting in the Oxford Courthouse.</p>

City council approves new tobacco licensing regulations at its Oct. 15 meeting in the Oxford Courthouse.

Oxford’s City Council approved new tobacco licensing regulations and several other key initiatives in their Oct. 15 meeting. The updates come two years after the initial moratorium regulating tobacco retailers. 

The council allocated $100,500 to construct a new playground at Merry Day Park and $160,674 for local nonprofits, including the Talawanda Oxford Pantry and Social Services.

Additionally, the council applied for a $126,370 Butler County development grant to fund another toddler park.

During the announcements, it was noted that Lieutenant Robinson and 15 others traveled to Florida to provide humanitarian support in the aftermath of Hurricane Milton. The council also highlighted the start of Oxford’s first publicly funded mural, led by Hannah Webb, with a reception scheduled for 5 p.m. Thursday at Sorriso Uptown.

Council members also noted the potential for installing new electric vehicle chargers at the Oxford Municipal Building and Oxford Airport.

Mayor William Snavely encouraged residents to vote and to check the city website for public meetings. He also reminded everyone that Halloween will be celebrated on Oct. 31 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Council will meet again on Tuesday, Nov. 5, at 7:30 p.m. at the Oxford Courthouse.

hamdana2@miamioh.edu