Ruthless RedHawks: Miami’s championship defense looks to repeat

Miami's defense got off to a rough start this season, allowing Cincinnati to run for over 200 yards and two touchdowns on Sept. 14

Last year was one of Miami University’s most historic football seasons to date. An unexpected second half of the year saw backup quarterback Aveon Smith lead the team to a Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship and a bowl game appearance.

A primary component to the RedHawks’ success in 2023 was the defense. Miami placed third in the MAC in interceptions and sacks with 11  and 35 respectively. Linebacker Matt Salopek earned MAC Defensive Player of the Year with 144 tackles, three sacks and one interception. 

With the RedHawks losing a few standout players from last year’s defense, many staunch supporters were left with more questions than answers about this year’s team. Players like Austin Ertl, who blocked two field goals in the MAC title game, and Yahsyn McKee, who led the team with four interceptions and had two big plays in last year’s Battle for the Victory Bell, are missing from this year’s roster. 

“We lost a lot of key guys that made a lot of plays for us,” defensive back Caleb Tubbs said. “We had to find a lot of young guys to come in and play as good as them.” 

Last year’s defense allowed an average of 15.93 points per game, and with as many as two interceptions against The University of Cincinnati, Ball State University and Akron University, defensive coordinator Bill Brechin understands the losses to the roster.

“[We’re] really proud of that group,” Brechin said. “Guys just played for each other and really put the team first, and then it transpired onto the field because guys just ended up doing their jobs.”

However, the team seems optimistic about the defense and its performance for the rest of this season. So far, the RedHawks have forced three fumbles against opponents, and Salopek has been involved in 19 tackles in the first two games of the season. 

Another returner is senior linebacker Ty Wise, who has 13 total tackles and one sack for Miami this year. In 2023, he and Salopek combined for 266 tackles. 

For Wise, the returning combination of himself and Salopek should be a fear for offensive lines this year.

“I think that me and him compliment each other very, very well,” Wise said. “He makes my job 1,000 times easier, and I’d like to think that I do the same for him.”

Redshirt-senior Brian Ugwu provided additional defensive help and forced one fumble against the Northwestern University Wildcats. He also had two tackles-for-losses (TFL) for 10 yards against the Wildcats. 

“I think we have probably more depth than a year ago,” Brechin said. “I think we have some talent.”

The emotion and love from last year’s team couldn’t be taken away through the transfer portal or the draft. The defense works well because every guy has bought into the shared goals of the program. 

“We're a unit,” Wise said. “We don't have anybody doing their own thing, I think everybody's playing the same game.” 

The physicality and fearlessness of the defense is the backbone of the team. Miami’s defense stands out in the conference because the team won’t back down. Even against Power Five opponents, the RedHawks can hold teams like Northwestern to 13 points.

“Our upfront guys are very physical, our backers are very smart and in the back end, we’re very fast,” Tubbs said. “We're really not scared of anything.” 

With all this talent, hard work ethic and the togetherness of the team, it’s clear this unit wants success for the RedHawks more than anyone. With hopes of going back-to-back in the MAC, the defense moves through the new season with grit and intends to work hard to keep success in the program. 

rosente2@miamioh.edu