Preview: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs the Miami RedHawks

Miami allowed Cincinnati to run for 215 yards and two touchdowns in the Battle for the Victory Bell on Sept. 14

This Saturday, Sept. 21, the Miami University RedHawks will face off against the No. 17 University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish in their iconic stadium for Miami’s third game of the season.

The Fighting Irish currently hold a 2-1 record, winning against Texas A&M University in week one and Purdue in week three. Their one loss came from another Mid-American Conference (MAC) team, the Northern Illinois University Huskies. The Huskies’ victory earned them a national ranking at No. 23. 

Despite that loss, the Fighting Irish have been a dominant force this season, pummeling Purdue University 66-7 last week.

“They are insanely talented,” head coach Chuck Martin said at a press conference Monday. “They’ve done a great job recruiting, [and] they play really hard. They know what they’re doing.”

The RedHawks are coming off a tough loss to the University of Cincinnati Bearcats last weekend. However, the team is not letting it shake its confidence. Redshirt senior tight-end Jack Coldiron reflected on the group’s mindset heading into the big game.

“We’re not going to harp on it,” Coldiron said. “We’re not going to focus on it. Yeah, everyone is upset, but we’re going to move on, focus on this week.  That’s how you play football.”

Bouncing back after a loss is always a challenge, especially against a powerhouse like Notre Dame. Playing in such a legendary stadium filled with tens of thousands of fans can be intimidating, especially for the underclassmen. 

“For some of our younger guys, this will be their first experience with a sold-out crowd in front of a ranked team,” Coldiron said. “But we just have to focus on football, not the crowd or the noise. Once the game starts, I think we’ll settle in.”

Martin echoed this sentiment while also expressing excitement about playing at Notre Dame, given his lifelong fandom for the team. 

“It’s an awesome opportunity for us and a really cool experience to go to any type of venue like that,” Martin said. “We’re going to the best venue on the planet.”

The RedHawks last faced the Fighting Irish in 2017 and suffered a 52-17 defeat. Miami lost momentum early in the contest, letting Notre Dame score 28 points in the first quarter.

The two teams have met three times dating back to 1909. The Fighting Irish hold a 2-1 advantage in the series with the RedHawks. Miami won 13-0 against them in 1945.

The RedHawks face a big challenge this Saturday in one of college football’s most iconic venues. However, while Notre Dame has demonstrated its talent and strength this season, the team are determined to bounce back with renewed focus and resilience. 

The odds may seem steep, but the RedHawks are ready to seize the opportunity and prove themselves on one of the biggest stages in the sport.

Kickoff is slated for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. The game will be televised on NBC.

schulzlc@miamioh.edu