Debate Night: How Kamala Harris Won My Heart and My Vote

Like many Americans, I spend my weeknights chatting with friends and family, rewatching my favorite movies and mentally preparing myself for the laborious task of waking up early the next morning. But on Tuesday, Sept. 10, my eyes were glued to my computer screen. Not because I was tuned in to the latest episode of Love Island, but because I was watching the 2024 Presidential Debate between Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump.

But with allegations of pet-eating, predictions of World War Three and transgender operations on illegal aliens, it’s no wonder young voters consider the most recent debate more of a stand-up comedy show than an intellectual conversation between two political opponents. While I expected petty jabs and a few interruptions from fact-checking moderators, nothing could have prepared me for the emotional rollercoaster I would ride for the next 90 minutes.

But what was said during the debate, besides the catchy soundbites circulating on social media? What policies were showcased, and what are the candidates’ plans for this country if elected? And most importantly, which candidate best represents the ideals, goals, hopes and dreams of the American people?

The debate began with hard-hitting questions concerning the state-wide abortion bans that have swept the country since the overturning of Roe v. Wade in 2022. Despite previously naming himself “the most pro-life president” in the nation’s history, Trump dodged the moderator’s question about whether he would support a nationwide abortion ban. This set the stage for Harris to proclaim her steadfast support of reinstating the constitutional right to abortion as well as protecting in vitro fertilization (IVF) for women across the country.

Trump was quick to launch into discussions of the nation’s southern border control and immigration policies, perpetuating his staunch belief that undocumented immigrants entering the country are dangerous, proclaiming that, “We have to get them out fast.” This position isn’t shocking to anyone familiar with Trump’s policies, and it could appear that Harris’ response to immigration has been lackluster. However, she was eager to highlight the bipartisan border security bill she has supported, which would allocate more resources to, “Prosecute transnational criminal organizations for trafficking.”

The candidates explored the twisted intersection between a strong economy and a sustainable future as they discussed ways to improve the lives of Americans. Harris claimed America needs to balance renewable and fossil fuel energy to meet the needs of our growing population. She acknowledged the reality of climate change and the necessity of investing in “diverse sources of energy” to decrease the nation’s dependence on foreign oil manufacturers, such as Russia. Trump, however, argued that “we're not ready” for green energy, choosing to default to fossil fuels as the basis for American energy consumption.

The former president also boasted that he “created one of the greatest economies in the history of our country,” and intends to do it again, but his exact plan of action has yet to be revealed. On the other hand, Harris detailed her plan to build an “opportunity economy,” in which small businesses can claim up to $50,000 in tax deductions to cover start-up expenses and first-time home buyers are eligible to receive $25,000 in downpayment assistance.

Potentially the hottest topic was the Israel-Hamas war. Harris’ statements appealed to many members of younger generations, who have been advocating for a ceasefire in Gaza. While defending Israel’s right to protect itself  and backing the necessity for Palestinian autonomy, she stated plainly that “we must chart a course for a two-state solution.”

Unsurprisingly, Trump’s perspective was more nuanced, arguing that the war in Gaza as well as in Ukraine “would have never happened” if he had been in office. Once again, instead of addressing the issue presented, the elder candidate pointed fingers at everyone except himself, falling back on his classic approach to divide the populace and distract from the facade he is trying, and failing miserably, to uphold.

Much to the chagrin of his staff, Trump’s support after the debate seems to have dwindled, even from those who had previously venerated him. The way the candidates presented themselves and their plans, or lack thereof, drew a clear line between the babbling, red-faced fool up well past his bedtime, and the younger, more energized breath of fresh air that is Kamala Harris.

Harris’ performance was not perfect, but she accomplished something that exceeded what I had expected from the night. She brought hope to an election where all bright things seemed out of reach. Her policies and clear devotion to serving the American people could not have been more different from Trump’s constant belittling of the country, calling it “a failing nation.” Trump’s fear tactics may have worked in the past, but against the backdrop of Harris, the American people can see just how worn out they truly are. Put simply, people are tired of Trump.

Americans are ready to turn a fresh page on a new generation of leaders. Americans are ready for Kamala Harris.

burnsen@miamioh.edu

Emily Burns is a sophomore opinion writer for The Miami Student who is double majoring in environmental earth science and sustainability. She also competes ice dance for the Miami University Figure Skating team.