Oxford’s annual Hike-a-Thon to offer guided hikes, celebrates trail system

The Oxford Area Trail System is a popular spot to exercise for Oxford residents.

Oxford is known for its small-town charm. From the brick-paved streets to local small businesses, Oxford has it all. However, Oxford’s charm is also owed to the 17 miles of trails surrounding the town.

Oxford Area Trails (OATS) has been expanding its network of recreational hiking trails for 30 years, and to celebrate the continuing expansion, hosts an annual Hike-a-Thon.

This year's Hike-a-Thon is Saturday, Sept. 21 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the DeWitt Trailhead. The event is meant to bring together the community, celebrate nature and celebrate the continued expansion of Oxford's trail network, according to the OATS website.

According to their homepage, the OATS project makes an effort to “build and sustain” a network of paths with the goal of making Oxford “a regional destination and greater place to live.”

Hike-a-Thon is open to anyone in and around Oxford and encourages people to bring friends, family and leashed pets to the wheelchair-accessible trails. According to the OATS website, free T-shirts will be available while supplies last and if residents attend both Hike-a-thon and Oxtoberfest, they can receive a free commemorative cup. This year, OATS will also be offering guided educational hikes.

gollispd@miamioh.edu